Growing up, I was close to someone who liked to make a lot of promises. Some were little promises and some were very big promises and all the promises were made with the best intentions. The problem was that this person didn't follow through on their promises very often. That left me deflated and disappointed and I didn't take people seriously when they would make me a promise. I figured that if I didn't expect the promise to come true, then I wouldn't be disappointed. Everyone has dealt with the disappointment of a broken promise; however, God does not break His promises. Please turn to 2 Corinthians 1:19-22.
This passage of scripture tells us that all that God promises to us are given to us through Christ. All of God's promises are a "yes" through Christ and we give our praises to God for His glory. The following scriptures give us some of the promises we can look forward to in Christ:
- John 3:16 "For God so love the world, that He gave His one and only Son so that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." We have a promise that we will have eternal life when we believe in Christ's sacrifice for us and His resurrection over death. This is an amazing promise of grace and forgiveness!
- John 16:5-15 This passage of scripture promises the Holy Spirit to all believers. We are told in these verses that the Holy Spirit will guide us in all truth and will tells us everything He has received from Christ. We are not alone in this world, Christ promised the Holy Spirit!
- John 16:22-24 We are told that we can approach the throne of God by using the name of Jesus. We can ask and receive and have abundant joy. Do you realize what it means to ask God directly? There are people who are so powerful on earth that we will never be able to approach, but we can approach the God who is over all things!
- Isaiah 40:31 "But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint." We are promised strength when we trust in God. When we are relying on Him and not ourselves, we find that we are using His strength and not our own.
- Revelation 21:3-5 This passage of scripture reminds me that I am not home yet. There is so much pain in this world and we are promised that God will wipe every tear from our eyes. Every tear. There will be no sorrow or crying or pain; they will be gone forever! We will be living in a world the way this world should have been. Every bit of pain we feel can remind us of the wonderful hope of where we will be some day. We are also reminded again that everything God says is trustworthy and true.
Are you encouraged yet? These are just a small handful of the promises in the Bible, but these pack so much hope! And remember - God says yes to these promises through Christ. We can shout the Amen and give God all the glory because we looked at the fact that God is righteous and we know that God is always true and trustworthy. God's promises are amazing and overwhelming and show us His great love for us. We will not be disappointed from God's promises.
Do you look with great hope and anticipation in the promises God gave us?