Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Shield of Faith

Ephesians 6:10-18

I believe in God.  I know He exists because He has done a work in my life that could only be accomplished by Him.  I have experienced His provision, His healing, His protection, and His love.  I believe that He is so crazy about me and everyone else on this planet that He sacrificed the greatest sacrifice so we could be with Him.  I believe that Jesus is both God and man and is God's son.  I believe that Jesus's death and resurrection is the only way to receive salvation and that through Him we are justified.  I believe that this earth is not my home and I will some day be at home with my loving Father in Heaven.  I believe that God the Father, Jesus the son, and the Holy Spirit are one.  I believe that God is the one true God.  I believe God is the creator of the universe and controls all things.  Yet, why do I find myself struggling to hold up the shield of faith at times even when I believe all these things?  Please turn to Ephesians 6:10-18.

I looked up the Greek word translated as faith in this verse.  It is the word, pistis.  I means to have a belief that God is creator and ruler of all things and He provides salvation through Christ.  It also means to believe that Jesus is the Messiah and we receive salvation through Him.  But the definition that I am looking at today according to BlueLetterBible.com is, "belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same."  Trust.  I have had a lot of things on my plate that are HUGE areas of stress for me, yet I keep hearing God ask me, "Sharon, do you trust me?"  I am learning to give more to Him and let go of areas that I so desperately want to control.  As soon as I feel like I have conquered an area of distrust, God shows me another layer that needs to be peeled off.


What about when I cannot seem to navigate through some of the difficulties on my own?  Please look up Psalm 18:27-29.  God lights up my darkness.  Psalm 139:12 says, "but even in darkness I cannot hide from you.  To you the night shines as bright as day.  Darkness and light are the same to you."  God sees all and sees a completely different perspective than I can see.  His vision penetrates the darkness and He will lead me through it.  Knowing this, we can trust God even in our darkness.  I guess I am like my children when they were very young.  If they were afraid of something, they would grab at me and cry even though I was already holding them.  I was protecting them and wouldn't let whatever they were afraid of harm them and I need to trust God in the same way.

There are many authors that have written incredible Bible studies and books on faith.  I would highly recommend completing the study, Believing God by Beth Moore.  In this study, she outlines 5 faith statements that will move you to a greater trust in God.  In his book, The Christian Atheist: Believing in God but Living As If He Doesn't Exist, Craig Groeschel writes about many areas of faith struggles.  Please read these incredible resources on faith and trust; you will be challenged to trust God in areas that you have not given over to Him.

Do you believe God?  Do you trust God?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.