Thursday, June 16, 2011

Using the Word In Battle

Luke 4:1-13

Over the years, the more I have dug into the Bible and searched to understand what God is telling us, the more I have found it to be effective at helping me in many situations.  These situations can vary from being tempted to facing fear.  I remember as a child, I had a lot of fears and I would often quote, "Greater is He that is in me than He that is in the world," (1 John 4:4).  When I need to remember that even though a task seems beyond my ability that God has put before me I tell myself, "I can do all things through Christ Jesus who gives me strength," (Phil 4:13).  Jesus modeled for us using the scripture in spiritual warfare.  Please turn to Luke 4:1-13.

If you notice in verse 1, we are told that Jesus was returning from the Jordan river full of the Holy Spirit; He was returning from His baptism.  He was led by the Spirit to go to the desert and fast for 40 days, during which time He was tempted.  Jesus used the scriptures all three times He was tempted.  If you look at verse 4, you see that Jesus quoted part of Deuteronomy 8:3.  Please turn to Deuteronomy 8:1-3 to look at that scripture in context.  Jesus was pointing out that food is not our only nourishment - we need spiritual nourishment from God's Word.  The devil then tempts Jesus by offering Him all the kingdoms in the world if He bows down to Him and Jesus once again quotes scripture.

The next thing that happens is important for us to remember - the devil used scripture out of context to tempt Jesus.  Please look up Psalm 91 to see those verses in the context of the whole chapter.  This scripture was not saying that we could be foolish and God would send His angels to protect us; this scripture was saying that if we rely on God's protection from our enemies we will be safe.  Jesus used another verse to combat this temptation as well by using a verse that says we are not to test God.  We are faced often with scripture used out of context and it is very important that we look up scriptures ourselves and read the verses around them to get the full context.  There are many people who use verses out of context to support their sin or hatred.  Spending time in the Bible is what will help raise a red flag when things do not seem to add up.

Jesus gave us such a wonderful example of why having scripture memorized and understanding the application gives us a powerful weapon to fight the enemy.  I believe I have said this every day this week; however, we cannot expect ourselves to use this weapon efficiently if we are not spending time every day in the Bible.  This is essential to us growing in our faith and growing in our knowledge and understanding of God.

Are you using the Bible to support you in resisting your temptations?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.