Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What Do You Treasure?

Psalm 119:10-12

There are certain moments in my life that I treasure and I never want to forget them.  I remember the day I met my husband, although at the time I had no idea that he would be the one that I was going to marry.  I remember the evening he proposed to me.  I remember our wedding day and how we were running late on our arrival to the church and we savored every moment we had alone in the car on the way.  I remember each moment that our children were born and how precious they were to us.  I remember the first of many sleepless nights when we brought our first-born home.  I remember the day we moved into the parsonage when my husband first went into ministry.  There are so many precious memories to me and some too private to list that I have treasured up in my heart and I think back on them with joy.  I have also treasured up verses in the Bible with joy knowing that they will change my heart.  Please look up Psalm 119:10-12.

The Hebrew word translated as "hidden" is tsaphan which means to hide or treasure up.  In this verse, it doesn't mean that God's Word is being hidden away never to find; the author means that he is storing it up in his heart as if it were great treasure.  God's Word is precious treasure that He has shared with us!  As I have been looking at the Armor of God, I have explored the fact that it is a powerful weapon that we possess.  So God's Word is a valuable and powerful weapon that we have been given permission to use.  Job 23:12 says, "I have not departed from his commands, but have treasured his words more than daily food."

How do we treasure up God's Word?  I believe that memorizing scripture is a great way to do this; however, it can't be that we are just rattling off a bunch of verses - they need to mean something to us.  We treasure His Word because it is breath and life to us.  If we understand that the words that we are memorizing are life-changing, they have greater value.  I think that if you can partner with someone or a group of people to hold you accountable to keeping up with memorizing verses, you will find that you can do it.  I am currently holding myself accountable by using Beth Moore's blog and recording a new memory verse on the 1st and 15th of each month.  This has been a great experience for me because we all memorize a verse that means something to us at that moment in our lives.  By the end of the year, I will have 24 new verses treasured up not only in my brain but in my heart doing a good work in me.  Yesterday, I explored how the Holy Spirit helps remind us of what we have learned about God, but we need to be actively in the Word.  I believe that because we are told that He will bring to memory what we have learned, memorizing these verses will be used at the time when I need them.

What do you treasure in your heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.