Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Even Greater Confidence

2 Peter 1:19-21

There are certain things in life that you can learn a "book knowledge" about, but until you have experienced it, the knowledge has little value.  For example, when I studied music therapy I studied about the many developmental disabilities that exist and music therapy methods that work well with someone diagnosed with a particular developmental disability.  I learned it and thought I understood it well, but it wasn't until I had the opportunity to observe a music therapy session using those methods that I really began to understand the process of therapy.  When I finally had the opportunity to practice music therapy as a student and intern, my understanding and confidence in the various methods I was using grew.  Yesterday, I looked at how Peter wrote about Peter explaining his personal experience with Christ being revealed to him and how we each have reason that we follow Christ from our own personal experiences.  Today, I want to read the next section of scripture that explains how that personal experience gives us more confidence in our walk; please look up 2 Peter 1:19-21.

The phrase in the NIV "completely reliable" in verse 19 is the Greek word, bebaios.  This word means firm, steady, or fast; sure or trusty.  To me, "completely reliable" almost doesn't convey the strength of the fact that it is not going to change.  Peter begins this sentence after describing his experience on the mountain with Christ and how that has proven the reliability of the prophets' message.  Peter is also reminding us that we are to heed the words of the prophets because they are not their own words, they are the words that God gave them through the Holy Spirit.


The more time we spend with God and reading the Bible, the more we find the life and truth that His Word is.  When we read the Bible not merely as a book, but as the Word of God we find ourselves growing in our relationship with Him and see the importance to listen what He is telling us.  Because we have personally experienced God, we can see the reliability of the Bible.  God spoke through the prophets not only about Christ while He was on earth, but we have been given a picture of when He will return.  Remember why you were drawn to Him originally, and you will remember that He is life as is His Word.


Do you see and believe in the reliability of the prophets and all of scripture?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.