Thursday, July 7, 2011

Godliness

2 Peter 1:6-7

When I was a child, my mother knew that she needed to get me in band because I loved music.  At the time I didn't know I loved music, I just sang non-stop.  When she asked me what instrument I wanted to play, I had no idea what different instruments looked like.  I knew what the flute sounded like, so picked the flute.  When my parents bought my flute, the salesman came to our house to bring me my new flute and opened the case.  I remember feeling so excited about getting my flute and being surprised to see it in three pieces.  I think back on that day and appreciate the time the salesman spent with me and showing me how to put my flute together and I am thankful for the excitement he built in me.  It started an obsession with music and the flute and shaped my career for my early adult life.  While I no longer play my flute every day, I still receive so much joy in playing it and I love worshiping God with my flute.  Just as playing the flute and my love for music shaped my career choices, godliness shapes who we become; please look up 2 Peter 1:6-7.

I enjoy learning new things, and this morning I learned something new!  When I looked up the Greek word for godliness, I learned that in this section of scripture it is a noun that means to have respect or reverence for God.  Vines describes it as being devout or having a Godward attitude.  I always looked at godliness to be how we behaved, but the reality is that godliness shapes how we behave.  Godliness is our attitude and respect toward God.  Just as my attitude and love for music shaped me into becoming a musician, godliness shapes us into becoming the person God wants us to be.  If we are always looking to God, we are going to do the things that please Him.  It makes me think of the book, In His Steps where the characters were challenged to think, "What would Jesus do," before they did anything or made any decisions.  When we are focused on our beautiful Creator, it will change the way we react and the things we say.  When we are focused on God, our motives change.

The Psalms are full of godliness; please look up Psalm 1:1-3.  The author of this Psalm tells us that those who meditate on the law are like trees planted by a river bearing fruit each season.  Basically, the writer is saying that those who look to what pleases God will live a life that will be fruitful.  In Psalm 25, David shows how a Godward view is what keeps us from falling away from our walk with God.  Verse 12 says, "Who are those who fear the LORD?  He will show them the path they should choose."  The Hebrew word for fear is yare' which means fear, but it also means to have an awe or respect.  We know that when we respect God and focus on Him, He will show us the way we should live.  I want to follow God and I want to bear fruit for Him!  I will know how to do the things that please Him by having my focus be on Him.

Is your focus set on God?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.