Saturday, July 2, 2011

Memory Verse #13

Romans 12:21

"Don't let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good."

This is a verse that is short but packs a huge punch!  My husband and oldest son had chosen this as their memory verse, and I knew I had to work on it as well.  After completing my study on the Armor of God and now digging into 2 Peter, I felt this verse fit in with where I am.  This verse is at the end of a chapter that spells out how we are to live with one another.  The verses just before verse 21 tells us how we are to respond when people are attacking us with evil.  Romans 12 tells us that instead of responding to those difficult situations with evil, we are to respond in love.  We are told to allow God to handle the situation and we are to continue to show love to our enemies.  The author of Romans then tells us, "Don't let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good." 

We do not have to respond to our situations with immaturity and with the thought of getting people who hurt or annoy us back (easier said than done).  The other day, I found myself saying to my husband about a situation that was bugging me, "The next time they do that...."  I instantly felt the Holy Spirit convict me about how that was not the way to respond to the situation.  I knew that God wanted me to continue to respond in love.  When we respond in a way that our human nature wants to respond, we are allowing evil to conquer our responses.  When we respond in a way that pleases God, evil has been conquered.  It is amazing how such a small verse can say so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.