Thursday, July 21, 2011

Servants of the King

2 Peter 1

I remember studying Shakespeare in school and ripping it apart to understand what was being said.  When I put it all back together and watched it acted out  it had even greater meaning to me as a whole.  I want to look at the first chapter of 2 Peter after spending time looking at individual sections of it.  I have to admit that when I first started out my study on 2 Peter I did not expect to spend three weeks on chapter 1.  After three weeks, I feel like I have only scratched the surface; however, I also feel that I have learned so much.  It seems that the more I learn the more I realize that I have so much more to learn.  I have been so blessed by reading through this chapter and being reminded of the importance to add to our lives goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, mutual affection, and love.  These are qualities that need to grow in order for us to experience a freshness in our faith.  Please read through all of 2 Peter 1.

As I have looked back on what I wrote and what I read today of all of chapter 1, I am glad to do a review.  I began this study by asking what this section of scripture tells us about God and what it tells us about what we should do.  We learn in these verses that God is divine, fair, just, and generous.  In His incredible generosity, we receive grace and peace and everything we need to live a godly life.  We also read that God has called us to Him.  God has given us promises that enable us to share in His divine nature.  God wants to give us a rich welcome into His kingdom.  Christ is coming again and we know this because it is written by the prophets, who God spoke through as they were led by the Holy Spirit.

As I looked back on what we learned about ourselves in this chapter, I realized that I skimmed over the beginning.  I want to jump back to verse one where it says, "This letter is from Simon Peter, a slave and apostle of Jesus Christ."  I looked up the word slave on BlueLetterBible to see what Peter was saying to us and I am so glad I did!  These are the definitions given for the word, doulos:  "a) a slave b) metaph., one who gives himself up to another's will those whose service is used by Christ in extending and advancing his cause among men c) devoted to another to the disregard of one's own interests" (see 1 below).  To me, that seems stronger than a servant or slave because there is a willingness to give up one's own desires.  We willingly give up our human desires to serve our beautiful Savior.


So, I am putting together what this passage is saying to me about myself, I see that the message is that we do these things not because we are forced to, but because we want to serve Christ the best we can.  Our love for Him and our understanding of what He has done for us makes us realize that we get to serve Him not have to.  The difference is huge, and it is no wonder God wants to give those who continue following His direction a rich welcome into heaven.  We understand that it is an honor to be His servants and we give up everything of ourselves to serve Him.

What a great chapter to study!  I love God and I love the richness of His Word.  I love how He reminds us of things we have already learned and teaches us new things through the same Word.  I love the freshness of God every day.  I am so blessed to be His daughter and His servant.  What a privilege to serve the King!

Are you excited to be His servant?


1. Blue Letter Bible. "Dictionary and Word Search for doulos (Strong's 1401)". Blue Letter Bible. 1996-2011. 20 Jul 2011. < http:// www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?
Strongs=G1401&t=NLT >

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.