Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Living Up To Our Potential

Acts 19:1-7

At work, we have a data base that was created by a young company.  I have worked with many data bases in my different jobs and when they are designed well, they can make your job so much easier.  Basically, with a data base information is entered in different fields, and when you want to run a report for information you can pull the data you entered in various fields.  The data base at work has so many fields that we can enter data into such as what time groups are meeting.  However, they have a pre-set queue that doesn't give the flexibility to run a report that would tell me which groups are meeting when.  It is so frustrating because all the information is there, I just cannot access it!  I have jokingly said that this data base is not living up to its full potential because there is so much more it should be able to do.  Sometimes, in our walk with God we run just like that data base. We are not living up to the full potential God has in us because we are not tapping into the power He has given to us.  Please look up Acts 19:1-7.

Yesterday, I looked at Paul's first visit to Ephesus where he planted a few seeds.  Apollos entered the scene and was taught about the baptism in Christ by Priscilla and Aquila.  Apollos was lead by God to go to Corinth and now Paul is returning to Ephesus to see how the church is doing.  When I first read this section of scripture, I found it interesting that the first question Paul asked the believers was if they received the Holy Spirit.  I think there are two things going on: first, Paul knew that they were to receive the Holy Spirit when they believed in Christ and second, Paul knew that if they were not working in the power of the Holy Spirit they were working without the power of God.  When they answered that they didn't even know about the Holy Spirit, he began to explain the difference between John the Baptist's baptism and the baptism in Jesus' Name (I studied a little about this in yesterday's post).  When they were baptized in the Name of Jesus, they received the Holy Spirit and began to experience the power of the Holy Spirit immediately.

Doesn't it seem that we live our every day lives forgetting that we have the Holy Spirit in us?  I know sometimes it seems as if I am spinning my wheels because I try and try to fix things on my own.  Paul wrote about this in Galatians 3:2-3 when he says, "Let me ask you this one question: Did you receive the Holy Spirit by obeying the law of Moses? Of course not! You received the Spirit because you believed the message you heard about Christ. How foolish can you be? After starting your Christian lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort?"   I need to be praying and asking for the Holy Spirit to empower me and not rely on my own abilities.  God has so much that He wants to do through us!  Let's live up to our potential in Christ with the power of the Holy Spirit.

Are you living up to your potential?

Linking up with iFellowship Seeds of Faith and The Wednesday Word.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, Christians don't realize the power they walk in with the entire Godhead living inside of them. That is SO powerful. I hope I can live in realization of that all the time. Thanks for linking up with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God does have so much more for us...I pray that we would all boldly step out into it and live up to His potential in us.

    Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post and a great reminder! I love this passage because too many of our churches are filled with this type of believer. John the Baptist pointed to Christ, as it says in Acts 19:4. Too many Christians have been pointed to Christ, repented of their sins, but have no clue of the power the Holy Spirit plays in their life. Eph 1:13-14 says it clear as day, we were sealed with the Holy Sirit. Wesley's Explanitory Notes says it like this, "The sealing seems to imply, a full impression of the image of God on their souls."

    I like that image!

    Sorry for rambling, but I really enjoyed your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of something a pastor once told me when he was starting a new church. He said, "I have to remember that I can do a great job with this, but if I am willing to get out of God's way and allow him to work through me, He can do an awesome job." -Savannah@savannahmcqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.