Monday, August 22, 2011

The Lord's Patience

2 Peter 3:15-18

I am at the end of 2 Peter and I believe God had me studying this book at just the right time.  There have been conversations that I have been a part of where reading through 2 Peter has helped me.  While it is a small book in comparison to other books in the Bible, it is rich and full of both warnings and hope.  Today, I want to look at the last three verses in 2 Peter 3, and tomorrow I will summarize everything I have studied over the last several weeks.  I am so thankful for God's timing and how He works in my life, and I pray that those of you who have been following along with me have been blessed by God's life-giving Word as well.  Please read 2 Peter 3:15-18.

Peter starts out by reminding us one more time that God's timing and patience is just giving more time for more people to come to Him.  I love how God can wait; especially when we know that what He sees here on earth pains Him.  He doesn't want to us hurting each other and walking away from the very One who created us; however, He is willing to wait so that more people will turn their hearts to Him.  What a loving, patient, and wise God we serve!  With that in mind, what is our role to be?  If it is important enough to God to wait for more people to come to Him, should we remain comfortable in our churches and expect people to just walk through our doors?  I don't think so; I believe we should be going out and seeking others (and I am currently preaching to myself because I need to be doing this better).  Please look up John 4:34-38 and see what Jesus was telling us to do.  He is telling us that people are ready to hear the Good News; go out and tell it!

Peter also gives us one final warning to be on guard for those who twist God's Word to mean something completely different.  We are reminded that the best way to be on guard is to keep growing "in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."  The grace is our salvation and we are to grow in that wonderful and beautiful grace that we have been lavishly given.  Paul reminds us in Philippians 2:12 that we are to continue to work hard to show the results of our salvation.  Peter told us in 2 Peter 1 that when we work hard on showing the results of our salvation, we will grow in our knowledge of Jesus (2 Peter 1:5-8).  And we learned in 2 Peter 1:4 that God has given us everything we need to do this.

Are you on guard for false teaching by growing in the grace and knowledge of Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.