Friday, August 26, 2011

Peace and Joy

Psalm 119:65

I remember many times following my parents' advice and direction and finding that they were right and they had given me good advice.  I can say without a doubt that when I had my greatest slip-ups growing up, it was when I didn't listen to their advice or I didn't follow their directions.  A perfect example was when I was just getting over swimmer's ear and we were at the beach.  My mom told me I could go in the water up to my knees, but no further so I wouldn't get water in my ear.  Well, at first I did very well at that but before long I found myself jumping in the waves and swimming.  By the time it was time to leave the beach, I could feel the pain building up into an infection that was worse than the original infection.  That is called learning a lesson the hard way.  I don't want to learn that way, I'd rather learn by following instructions and having peace.  Please look up Psalm 119:65.

This was Bible Gateway's verse of the day yesterday, and it resonated with me.  This doesn't mean that bad things will never happen to us; however, we definitely will experience peace because we are not getting into situations on account of disobedience.  Psalm 1 reminds us that those who follow God's instruction will experience joy.  Sometimes it may seem difficult to follow God's instruction; however, we are not doing this on our own - we have Christ with us.  Philippians 4:13 says, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."  We can know that anything we need to do to live the way God wants us to live is accomplished through Christ.  Let us use the power of Christ to experience peace and joy in our lives.

Please join me on Monday as I begin studying the book of Ephesians.

1 comment:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.