Friday, August 19, 2011

Preparation

2 Peter 3:11-14

I grew up going to church, so I really don't remember a time when I didn't know Jesus.  I always remember having a passion for Him that grew as I got older.  For as much as I wanted to be with Him, I didn't want to leave this world behind - I had dreams and goals to accomplish!  I remember hearing my mom tell me that the signs were around us that His coming would be soon which would send me into a panic.  Later in the evening as I was lying in bed I would pray, "Don't come yet!  I want to get married and have children!  I want to be a mom!  Just let me grow up!"  While I was thinking about growing up physically, yesterday I studied that God is waiting for us to grow up spiritually.  It makes me laugh because I had mentioned on Monday that this chapter seems to be about godly perspective when my perspective in different stages of life never seem to match His completely.  When I was young, I wanted to delay the inevitable and now that I have experienced much more of life I'm sure that Jesus can't come soon enough.  Please read what Peter tells us our response should be in light of all this in 2 Peter 3:11-14.

Peter reminds us that knowing what the day of judgement is going to be like and knowing that God is going to destroy everything, we should be living godly lives.  I think about how we occasionally hear about someone in the news who has been able to predict the end of the world.  I am not going into all the problems with such predictions, I just think about how people who believe the predictions spend all their savings frivolously because they know money will not matter in the end.  Their focus is off; that isn't what we should be doing in preparation!  God wants us to continue on and live godly lives, and we were reminded in 2 Peter 1:4 that God has given us everything we need to live godly lives.

It is like the parable of the Ten Bridesmaids; please turn to Matthew 25:1-13 and read the parable.  In this parable, Jesus is reminding us that we will have no idea when He will return and we just need to be ready.  Our preparation is to live out our faith in the way God has called us to looking forward to the day of His return.  The Greek word translated as hastening is speudō which means to hasten along and it also means to desire earnestly.  As we are living out godly lives, we can desire and anticipate His coming.  We are looking forward to the "new heavens and new earth that God has promised" filled with His righteousness.  Just as we saw the urgency in 2 Peter 1:5, Peter writes with a similar urgency in 2 Peter 3:14.  We are to begin living godly, peaceful, and blameless lives immediately.  We do not want to be like the foolish bridesmaids who were not quite prepared for their groom.

Are you living a life of preparation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.