Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Reminders

2 Peter 3:1-2

Why are there things that we seem to remember on our own and other things we need reminding?  For example, I never forget my morning coffee; however, I can find myself forgetting to put the dinner in the crock pot before I leave for work (I hate it when I do that!).  I can remember to check my email, but I often forget to return a phone call if I don't write myself a reminder.  My kids never forget to watch their favorite shows on T.V., but remember to clean their room?  I know for myself, it really boils down to what I prefer to be doing and what I would rather do later.  Either way, I have learned that I need reminders so my Google calendar is set up to email me my agenda each day and send me reminders on all my family's appointments.  Peter is also giving us a reminder today; please turn to 2 Peter 3:1-2.

In verse one, Peter tells us that he wants to "stimulate [our] wholesome thinking and refresh [our] memory."  When I read through that verse, it reminds me of one of my memory verses that says, "And now dear brothers and sisters, one final thing.  Fix your thoughts on whatever is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable.  Think about the things that are excellent and worthy of praise," Philippians 4:8.  That is wholesome thinking!  When we think on such things, our lives will be filled  with praise to God.  Have you ever known anyone whose thoughts always seem to be on God?  They can still have difficult times in life and experience pain, but it doesn't destroy them.  I know being in the Bible every day helps remind me to think on such things because it reminds me to think about them.  I also remember to refresh my thoughts through my morning prayer as I pray and ask God to help protect my thoughts.

Peter goes further into verse two that it is important to remember what the prophets have said long ago and what we have learned from the apostles.  Philippians 4:9 continues with, "Keep putting into practice all the things you learned and received from me - everything you heard and saw me doing.  Then the God of peace will be with you."  I love how God spoke through many different people in the Bible and the message remains consistent!  When Paul wrote that, he wasn't glorifying himself; he was pointing out that he was modeling the very life that God wants all of us to live.  In fact, reading through Philippians you will find Paul with a very humble attitude.  I do not have enough time to do a study on all the things that the prophets said because it would take a lifetime; however, there are things that I have studied in the past that show God's heart and how He wants us to be a reflection of it.

Micah 6:8 tells us, "He has shown you, O mortal what is good.  And what does the Lord require of you?  To act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God."  Isaiah 58 tells us a lot of the Lord's heart, but verses 6-7 explain what God wants from us, "No, this is the kind of fasting that I want:  Free those who are wrongly imprisoned; lighten the burden of those who work for you.  Let the oppressed go free, and remove the chains that bind people.  Share your food with the hungry and shelter the homeless.  Give clothes to those who need them, and do not hide from relatives who need your help."  I know I may sound like a broken record, but the only way to remember to do what God has commanded is to be in His Word daily.  If you have difficulty doing that, find a way that will help be accountable such as joining a small group that requires daily Bible study at home or find a friend that will study the Bible with you.  Begin to memorize scripture.  Beth Moore has a site that I use to help me stay accountable by checking in on the 1st and 15th of each month to give my new memory verse.

How are you remembering to think on good things and to do what God has commanded?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.