Saturday, August 27, 2011

Simple Saturday - The Body

Romans 12:4-5

I clean because I want a clean house not because I enjoy cleaning; in fact, I don't think it would be an exaggeration at all to say that I hate cleaning.  So, years ago when the small church we were attending put out an all call for help with cleaning on Saturdays, I cringed.  The person who had been cleaning the church was just not physically able to do it anymore and the church was asking for people to sign up to be put on a rotation to help clean.  That was definitely a sacrifice to go do something at the church that I hated to do in my own house!  However, the person who had been cleaning loved cleaning.  They found so much joy cleaning the church even though most people had no idea who was cleaning the church.  There was another person who mowed the lawn each week because that gave him so much joy to share his gift for taking care of landscaping.  On the flip side, I enjoyed working with the kids and being a part of the worship ministry (and not everyone liked that).

All of those things needed to happen in order for the church to function properly - if the church was not clean, no one would want to come.  If the lawn didn't look nice on our busy street, no one would find the church worth visiting.  If the kids were not safe and learning godly lessons, families wouldn't return.  I could go on; however, my point is that no matter what task God has given you - it is important.  Ministry takes on so many forms and there is not one type of service that is more important than another.  If one task fails, it affects all other tasks.  Romans 12:4-5 says, "Just as our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function, so it is with Christ’s body. We are many parts of one body, and we all belong to each other."  We all need to use the gifts that God has given us and to do the things that we enjoy to build up the entire body of believers.  1 Corinthians 15:58 says, "Therefore my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm.  Let nothing move you.  Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, for you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."

No matter what you are doing, it is important to God.  If it wasn't important, He wouldn't have given you the task.  When you are serving, remember that you are serving the Lord and He is using your service for His glory.  We are serving the King of all kings!  Is there any greater honor?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.