Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Authority of Christ

Ephesians 1:19-22

I work at our church as a ministry assistant to both Outreach and Groups.  One of the things I like about my job is hearing the stories of how God is working in the lives of people in small groups and around the world.  Since I work in Outreach, I get to read the updates from missionaries around the world as share their struggles and how they experienced victory through God's mighty power.  As many of you know, I had the opportunity to be a part of a team that went to Zambia last year where we served on a prayer team during our first week.  As a part of the prayer team, we got a taste of Christ's authority as we saw students being healed and delivered.  We can know that Christ has authority; however, it is still amazing to see His authority.  Yesterday, I looked at the power that God uses on behalf of believers, and today I want to look at what the Bible says about Christ's authority.  Please turn to Ephesians 1:19-22.

When I was studying about the church in Ephesus, I remember that the Ephesians learned a strong lesson about the authority of Jesus's Name.  There were some that were using His Name is if it were a part of an incantation and they found themselves being mocked by the demons and severely beaten (Acts 19).  After that, the believers had a lot more respect for His Name and understood that it wasn't an incantation; Jesus's Name is power.  When we read about the authority that Christ has been given, the authority isn't just about earthly things that we can see; He has been given authority over the unseen.  The word translated into "leader" is kyriotēs which is used in Colossians 1:16, "For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him."

In Luke 10:1-20, the disciples learn the power that is in the Name of Jesus.  I don't know about you, but when I think that someone has so much authority that at the very mention of their name everyone has to obey, I am amazed!  I am also completely humbled that Christ would choose to share in that power with me, a mere human.  What love our Savior has for us, but do we live as though we are serving the King who has authority over all things?  Once again, Christ's Name isn't just some incantation that we can use to fix things, there is power and authority in His Name that commands respect.  Jesus is victorious and has broken the power of death over His people.

Do walk through life as a servant of the King of all Kings?  Do you understand that the One you serve has authority over all things?

Linking up with Some Girl's Website.

1 comment:

  1. Sharon,
    What a great part of your job..."hearing how God is working in small groups around the world"....

    I like the book links you have going on the side. I will have to check out a few.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.