Friday, September 30, 2011

The Good Things He Has Planned

Ephesians 2:10

There is a pastor at our church that has fish in his office.  One fish in particular is interesting because it is supposed to grow quite large and dominate all the fish in the tank.  When he first got the fish it was black, but it is slowly turning orange and may even turn red.  The reason this fish intrigues me so much is because it is supposed to be the leader in the tank but it is actually afraid of everything.  We hardly ever get to see this fish because he is always hiding behind a rock not realizing that all the other fish (except one) are tiny in comparison to him.  It is comical at times because there is another fish that also enjoys the rocks and will occasionally come to rest behind the same rock, so the orange fish quickly swims to the next rock with an urgency that says, "Please don't see me!"  So, here is this fish that has been changed from black to orange and who will not come out into the open for all to see.  I think at times we do the same after God has changed us.  Please turn to Ephesians 2:10.

We are God's masterpiece!  This whole week has centered around the theme of God's grace in response to our sin.  Rather than anger, we experience forgiveness and salvation; but that is not all we experience.  Ephesians 2:10 tells us that He created us new in Christ Jesus.  The Greek word translated as "create" is ktizō which means to create; however, the first definition for it is to make habitable.  I want to focus on the idea of being made habitable because we are told that Christ lives in us.


Romans 8:10 says, "And Christ lives within you, so even though your body will die because of sin, the Spirit gives you life because you have been made right with God."


Colossians 1:27 says, "...And this is the secret:Christ lives in you. This gives you assurance of sharing his glory." 


Galatians 2:20 says, "My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."


I could go on; there is so much in the Bible that tells us that Christ lives in us.  When we received the amazing and powerful grace of God, we were made habitable for Christ to live in us.  How beautiful is that!?  I never fail to get excited when I talk about God's grace because I know that God has made me new!  That is not the end of the story; Ephesians 2:10 tells us that God does this so that we can do the "good things that He planned for us long ago."  God has a plan for each one of us and we are made new so that we can do good things.  This is when we can live out the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5) because Christ lives in us.  We are able to do the good things God planned for us because we are not doing them alone.  We cannot be like the fish that hides behind a rock even though it has been changed and is growing.  God has bigger plans for us!

Are you living life remembering that Christ lives in you?

1 comment:

  1. The more that I read my Bible and spend time in prayer, the more I am convicted by my sin and the fact that the Holy Spirit is grieved. Great reminder as we start our day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.