Friday, September 23, 2011

A Greater Story

Ephesians 1:21-23

Have you ever noticed that there are some jobs that are never done?  Then there are some jobs that seem like they will never be done and then one day you realize that you can't remember the last time you had to do that job.  Changing diapers was like that for me; part of it was because all three of my children were born in a period of three and a half years.  I remember celebrating with my daughter (my youngest) when she began potty training, but I honestly don't remember saying to myself, "this is the last diaper I will ever have to change on my children."  That's because we just never know for sure when a job like that will be complete.  Our walk with God is like that as well because He is constantly changing us to make us more the way He purposed us to be.  One thing we know for sure, once we believe in Christ and follow Him we become a part of the "body of believers," or the church.  This is done through Christ and we can see that it is through Him that we are complete; please look up Ephesians 1:21-23.

For the last few days, I looked at the power and authority that Christ has, and today I want to look at how Christ works in the church.  Please understand that when I talk about "the church" I am referring not a particular building or denomination, I am referring to the collective group of believers worldwide.  When we believe and follow Christ, we become a part of a story and legacy that is greater than ourselves.  The word translated into body in verse 23 is sōma in the Greek.  This word is translated literally as body, or to represent a larger collection of a whole group that is united (such as the church).  In Ephesians 1:11, we are told that we are united in Christ and I think it is safe to say that because we as individuals are united with Christ we become united as a whole.  That whole is the body of Christ.  We are not an island in our faith, we are to bond together to do the work that God called us to do.

The other thing to think about is the idea that the body of Christ is made full and complete through Him.  The Greek word for "full and complete" is plērōma.  This word can mean the fullness of time and it also refers to "the body of believers, as that which is filled with the presence, power, agency, riches of God and of Christ," (see footnote 1.).  I just love that it is a reminder that we are filled with Christ and that also means that we have the access to the power that raised Christ from the dead.  God intended for the church to be strongest when we are working together and united.  I guess that is probably why we see disagreement within the church world-wide; our enemy knows that if we are united that there is strength and power that is greater than we as church can even comprehend.  Imagine what would happen in our communities and around the world if the church remembered that we are part of something so much bigger than we can understand.  We are a part of God's story.

Let's make this chapter in God's story an adventure as we band together in unity!
1. Blue Letter Bible. "Dictionary and Word Search for plērōma (Strong's 4138)". Blue Letter Bible. 1996-2011. 22 Sep 2011. < http:// www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?
Strongs=G4138&t=NLT >

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.