Wednesday, September 14, 2011

His Purpose

Ephesians 1:9-4

When I worked as a music therapist, I had to write an assessment of the person I was working with.  I assessed many skills such as cognitive, fine and gross motor, emotional, speech and language, and so on.  I also assessed whether or not there was something in their current environment that would effect those skills and behaviors.  After completing the period of assessment, I would develop realistic goals and objectives.  Once I had goals and objectives identified, I could develop a plan of action on how I would help this person meet those goals.  Having a plan in place helped me to plan out individual sessions to begin working toward the objectives that were identified.  Because I was using music, the individual didn't always feel like they were working; however, over time I could see the difference that the exercises were making in their abilities.  Sometimes, even with the music, the task was still difficult and required hard work and would be met with some resistance.  I would continue to push forward because I knew that if they would complete the task, over time they would grow and meet their objectives.  The verses I want to look at this morning talk about God's purpose for our lives; please read Ephesians 1:9-14.

Verse 11 keeps ringing in my head, "...He makes everything work out according to His plan."  These verses are very clear that God has a plan and whatever He has planned will come to pass.  The word in Greek translated as plan is prothesis and is used in Romans 8:28, "And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them."  The thing that I found interesting about this word is that it is also used for the "shewbread" in the Holy Place.  The shewbread were 12 loaves that were placed in the Holy Place on the Sabbath representing the tribes of Israel.  So many things in the tabernacle were a symbol of Christ, and the shewbread was another representation.  According to Vines, the bread represented that through Christ, believers are accepted before God and the bread also represented that they are nourished by God.

This is where I get excited about how God orders everything that I have been studying so far this week.  On Sunday, as I was sharing about God being our portion with a friend, she reminded me that the priest relied on what was given for their portion.  The shewbread was part of their portion and they were the only ones who were permitted to eat it.  My friend also reminded me that all believers are now priests for God (1 Peter 2:5,9).  Christ tells us in John 6:51 that He is the living bread and is our nourishment.  Christ is our portion.  I know I keep coming back to this idea; however, I love the beauty that God wants to be our portion.  That is His purpose.  God will use whatever He needs to use to bring us to the place where He is our portion, our nourishment.  Just as in my music therapy sessions, He will use some things that don't seem so hard such as being in the Word and prayer.  Other times, we are in difficult situations that He has allowed; He allows these so we can come to Him for our portion.  I don't like those times and I wish I didn't have to have those times; however, it has been in those times when I have learned to rely on Him all the more.

Do you trust God's purpose?  Do you trust that He will work all things for His plan?

Linking up with iFellowship Blog Hop.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I believe he will work all things for his plan. I've seen him take my sins and turn them to His plan. It was a painful process for me...but ultimately when I turned back to Him and asked for forgiveness He walked me in a new direction, and as hard as it was, it was worth the journey. Ultimately, I feel his plans were worked out.
    -Savannah@savannahmcqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking back and seeing God's hand at work in the midst of pain and struggle. Redemption and forgiveness and mercy and grace all at work to change our lives... love that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.