Thursday, September 15, 2011

Inheritance

Ephesians 1:12-14

I have known people who have received an inheritance from a relative and it changed the shape of their life.  For example, one of our friends received an inheritance from her grandma and not only had her college paid for but could continue living off the interest on the inheritance.  I've seen others use their inheritance to buy their home.  An inheritance is a gift that someone passes down to relatives after they die and can sometimes change the standard of living for the person receiving it.  God speaks of an inheritance for those who believe in and follow Christ.    Please look at Ephesians 1:12-14.

One of the ideas I looked at when I was studying the church of Ephesus (see posts from weeks 1 and 2) was the fact that they personally experienced the difference once they were in Christ and received the power of the Holy Spirit.  They also witnessed amazing miracles of God through Paul during the three years he was with them.  The church was familiar with the Holy Spirit's power.  Paul reminded them that because they were working in the power of the Holy Spirit, they had a gift that only believers received.  That gift was a guarantee that they would receive an inheritance as a child of God.  I find it interesting that the word "inheritance" is used because it is a gift passed down to relatives after someone dies.  Jesus died for us so that we could be made right with God, so the word inheritance is a beautiful representation and reminder of why and how we receive this wonderful gift.

What is the inheritance?  I looked up the word inheritance in the Greek to see what it meant.  The word is klēronomia and is only used 14 other times in the New Testament.  It is found in Hebrews 9:15 where it says, "That is why he is the one who mediates a new covenant between God and people, so that all who are called can receive the eternal inheritance God has promised them. For Christ died to set them free from the penalty of the sins they had committed under that first covenant."  This still didn't explain to me what the inheritance is but it did remind me of the fact that Christ died in order that we could receive the inheritance; so I did more digging and found Psalm 16:5-6 where it says, "Lord, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing. You guard all that is mine. The land you have given me is a pleasant land. What a wonderful inheritance!"  Don't you just love how God fits everything together with what we've been looking at all week?  Of course, I had to look up the word used in Hebrew for inheritance and what I discovered was that verse literally says, "The Lord is the portion of my inheritance and my cup..."  I also discovered that the word for inheritance can also mean portion.

Some of you haven't been with me all week to understand why that is so exciting to me, but once again to be reminded of how God is our portion is such a blessing to me!  He is our portion - our inheritance.  How beautiful that is to me!  Since this post is getting long enough, I will leave you with that thought, but I would encourage you to do more digging on your own.  Use BlueLetterBible.com  to look up more (such as cup) and enjoy the journey with God.

Are you excited to know that your portion or inheritance is Christ?

Linking up with Some Girl's Website and In Search of Beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.