Tuesday, September 13, 2011

It Gave Him Great Pleasure

Ephesians 1:5-11

When my husband and I were in our earliest years of marriage, we knew that we wanted children and we were even sure that we wanted three children.  By the time we reached the seventh year of our marriage, we had three little blessings in tow and we knew we were blessed.  The amazing thing that God does in a parent's heart is that even before the parent has met their precious child, they already love the child.  As soon as I knew that I was pregnant with each baby, my heart was filled with so much love.  I have also seen this happen with parents that know they going to adopt a child; they are filled with so much love and happiness for that baby they haven't even met.  In fact, the parents who are adopting a child pay a great price to bring that child into their family.  I have seen families take on a second mortgage in order to adopt a child.  After paying a great price and waiting a long time, the parents finally get to hold their new child and it is truly their child.  The Bible explains that God paid a great price to adopt us into His family as well.  Please read Ephesians 1:5-11.

The phrase that sticks out at me is the fact that it gave God great pleasure to adopt us through Jesus.  I think of all the families I have seen adopt a child and the great pleasure they experience.  The moment that they get to hold their child, all the cost was worth it.  God paid the greatest price of all for us through His Son, Jesus.  I think of the joy I felt when I first held each child and the joy my friends have felt the first time they held their adopted child and it makes me realize the joy that God has each time one more child enters His kingdom.  Each time someone chooses to believe in the price that was paid for them, God's heart swells with joy.  This was His plan before time began; that we would become His children through Jesus.  God knew us before we were even born (Psalm 139:13-16).

Do we respond to our heavenly Father as though we understand how precious we are to Him?  Do we understand that it gave God great pleasure to pay the price for us to become a part of His family?  2 Peter 3:9 reminds us that God wants to see everyone to be a part of His family:  "The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent."  I don't know if I can convey in words how desperate God wants to see all come to Him, repent, and become His child.


Do you respond to God as a Father who paid a great price to be your Father?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.