Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mighty Power

Ephesians 1:19-20

Several years ago, I was in Washington D.C. for a work related conference and I had about six hours to do some sight-seeing on Sunday before heading back to the airport.  I decided that since it was Sunday, I would go to a service at the National Cathedral.  I had visited it once when I was about 12 years old, but I couldn't fully appreciate the architecture at that time.  I arrived a little late since I wasn't too familiar with the transit system and even though I walked in as a tourist, God met me there in such an unexpected way.  I was overwhelmed by the size, beauty, and sound of the building, in fact everything was so exaggerated in its presentation that I felt the enormity of God (as much as possible).  Here I was among other tourists and regular worshipers and I was crying from the emotions that were flooding my heart.  As if that emotional assault wasn't enough, we sat down to read a written prayer in the hymnal.  The first line read, "By the power of the resurrection of Christ..."  Wow!  Is there anything more powerful than the power that raised Christ from the dead?  I still look back on that morning with such appreciation that God would allow me to read that prayer while experiencing a taste of His greatness.  The wonderful thing is that power that raised Christ from the dead wasn't meant just for that Easter morning; please read Ephesians 1:19-20.

Yesterday, I looked at the first half of this prayer that Paul shared with the church in Ephesus and how he prayed that they would grow in wisdom, understanding and have enlightenment (or revelation) of God.  Today, I want to consider what it means to "understand the incredible greatness of God's power for us who believe Him."  I looked up the word translated into "power" in Greek and it is the word, dynamis.  This word is used 120 times in the New Testament, but the thing I found interesting is that it is used for "miracles."  I love how BlueLetterBible.com defines it.  It defines it as strength, "inherent power, power residing in a thing by virtue of its nature, or which a person or thing exerts and puts forth," (see footnote 1.).  This is a power that God puts forth just by virtue of His nature.  This power is who He is and Paul is reminding the church that God uses that power for all believers.


The church in Ephesus experienced a lot of oppression from their culture and from the Jews living there, but they also experienced the power of the Holy Spirit living in them (see Acts 19).  Paul was praying that they could understand and live the life that a person with that power should live.  I think that we believers sometimes live in defeat and fear which is not what God has intended for us.  It is true that we need to pray to understand this incredible power that is unlike anything in this world then we would be living a victorious life.  We can trust and believe that God wants the best for us and when He calls us to do something, we can know that He has already made us victorious.  Proverbs 16:3 says, "Commit to the Lord whatever you do and He will establish your plans."  When we commit to follow God and to walk in obedience, we will see His mighty power on our behalf.

Let us pray that we can understand the mighty power of God.

1. Blue Letter Bible. "Dictionary and Word Search for dynamis (Strong's 1411)". Blue Letter Bible. 1996-2011. 20 Sep 2011. < http:// www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G1411&t=NLT >

Linking up with iFellowship Blog Hop.

1 comment:

  1. great post! Oh the mighty power of God! I know I will never fully understand it, but I am so thankful for the little glimpses He allows me this side of glory. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.