Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Rest For Our Souls

Ephesians 2:1-5

I was talking with some friends the other day how I love watching movies that show someone overcoming obstacles and experiencing victory.  When I walk out of the theater after watching such a movie I feel satisfied because the underdog won.  When we come to know Christ as our Savior and Lord, we become victors over death.  Yesterday, I talked about the separation from God we experience when we sin, even to the point that we deserved God's anger.  I even explored that when we sin we are slaves to sin and obey the devil rather than God.  However, today I want to look at the fact that God had a better plan for us because He loves us greatly.  Please read Ephesians 2:1-5.

Ephesians 2:4-5 are memory verses for me and they are some of my favorite verses in scripture.  I like how it is worded in the New Living Translation:  "... he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead."  I looked at a few verses yesterday that showed how our sins were nailed to the cross with Christ when He died.  Today, I want to point out that it is through His resurrection that we have victory with Christ from death.  Remember that in Ephesians 1 we are told that we are united with Christ, so His victory over death is shared with us!

I want to explore a little of what that means considering that we were once slaves to sin.  Romans 6:17-18 says, "Thank God! Once you were slaves of sin, but now you wholeheartedly obey this teaching we have given you.  Now you are free from your slavery to sin, and you have become slaves to righteous living."  We have a new master and we are now slaves to righteous living.  The word "slave" sounds like we're just moving from one task master to the next; however, remember that each of those masters operates differently than the other.  Jesus tells us in Matthew 11:20-30, "Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”  Christ is gentle with us and instead of finding guilt, shame, and emptiness as we had with our old task master, we will find rest for our souls.  What a beautiful promise!

It is living the life that God calls us to live is a life that will find rest in Him.  When we trust His direction we will have peace.  It is not a promise that we will not have trials, because we are told that trials and difficulties will come in this life, it is a promise of rest regardless of our circumstances.

Do you follow the master of rest?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.