Saturday, September 10, 2011

Simple Saturday - All Things New

I am so thankful that today is Saturday!  It has been an absolutely crazy week and a bit on the stressful end of things.  I have felt pulled in many directions this week as my husband and I adjust back to our fall morning schedule, get the kids back into the school routine, and continue to gear up for the fall programming at church/work, and make the checkbook balance after paying all the school fees (etc...) that you incur at the beginning of the school year.  I don't know about the rest of you, but the first week of school doesn't bring a lot of homework for the kids, it brings a TON of homework for me.  I have three children and each one of them brings home papers that need to be signed.  Every year at this time, I wonder how I am supposed to keep all the information straight with the middle school when each teacher has different policies on homework and grading.  Each kid is sent home with a packet of information from each middle school teacher and then we have to sign a form saying that we have read and understand all their policies.  Needless to say, I was beginning to get a hand cramp when an hour after I sat down to go through all the papers I found myself still signing and reading.  Ugh!

I actually like beginnings and starting new.  There is a freshness and excitement about starting something new. Here are some wonderful things that has happened this week as well.  My kiddos like their teachers!  I got a lot accomplished at work.  The Green Bay Packers won!!!  (I had to throw that in).  We had fun as a family going to the movies.  I have also been learning some new things in my Bible study this week; I never fail to be amazed at how God teaches me something new from a story I have read many times before.  I love the freshness of God - He always reveals something new within our lives.  Lamentations 3:22-24 says, "Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. I say to myself, 'The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him.'"   Oh, how grateful I am that God is faithful! Praise God that His compassions (or mercies) are new every morning!

I just wonder if we don't seek God's freshness in the way we should.  Do we start our day asking God to renew our minds and give us a fresh perspective?  Imagine what would happen if we sought after God's compassions that never fail.  Imagine what would happen if we relied on His faithfulness and waited for Him.  What if we relied on Him to be our portion?  God pours compassion on us even when we are unaware - He loves us so much that He has provided a way to salvation rather than destruction.  The more we open our eyes and become aware to His unfailing compassion, the more He becomes our portion.  I think of the woman who anointed Jesus with expensive perfume and began to kiss His feet (Luke 7:36-50).  When Jesus was questioned about why He allowed such behavior He explained that she showed so much love because she had been forgiven of much.  He continued to explain that the one who has been forgiven of little shows only a little love. The truth is, we have all been forgiven of a lot and have experienced God's daily compassions; we just need to realize it.

Are you aware of God's compassions?

1 comment:

  1. These verses in Lamentations have really been on my mind a lot lately, especially the past few days!! Oh what peace and hope that each morning is new! Oh what love the Father bestows on us!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.