Monday, September 12, 2011

Spiritual Blessings

Ephesians 1:1-7

I love how God speaks to us!  I wrote my post on Saturday, which I felt was unrelated to my study in Ephesians.  On Sunday, as I was sitting in the service, I began to hear a sermon that spoke a very similar message based on a different passage.  It was such a blessing to hear God say something not exactly the same as what I was studying earlier; however, it flowed along with what I was studying and added greater depth.  I keep thinking about how I want the Lord to be my portion as the author states in Lamentations 3:22-24.  The more I focus on the compassions He so generously gives each day, the more He becomes my focus.  The more I recognize how much I have been forgiven, the more I love Him (Luke 7:36-40).  As I have focused on that idea, insecurities have crept in to make me focus on the security I can physically experience in this world.  The more I seek security in the world, the less the Lord is my portion.  So, as I have found myself in my little struggles today, I tried to prepare this post in the midst of a tug of war.  When I finally focused on the message of the verses I was reading, I realized and was reminded of where my focus needs to be.  Please read Ephesians 1:1-7.

I love what Paul wrote in verse 3, "All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ."  Every spiritual blessing...can we even comprehend what that means?  What I do understand is that we receive such blessing because we are united with Christ.  That unity comes from the sacrifice that Christ made for us.  Verse 7 tells us that we are purchased by the blood of Christ because of the generosity of God.  Listen, the best is that even before the world was created, God already loved us!  The other day, my daughter asked my why I named my blog the same name as a song.  I began to explain to her that it symbolizes the fact that I have a Father in heaven that knows me so intimately along with everyone else that even though there have been billions of people, He still knows my name.  That is such an overwhelming thought and so beautiful to me.  She then reminded me that He knew me before I was even born as we read in Psalm 139.

With all that said, when I focus on the amazing love that God has so lavishly poured out on me, the Lord is my portion.  When I remember that I have been forgiven much - so much that God's mercies are new every morning, I love much.  When I focus on the love that God had for me before I was even born, I feel more of His presence in my life.  As I feel His presence, the surrounding factors that allow insecurities to sneak in no longer seem that important.  So, even though I am a people pleaser, the Lord can still be my portion instead.  We are blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ.  Do we need any other portion?  Our cup is full!

Let the grace of God wash over you and fill your cup.  The Lord is your portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.