Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Wisdom and Light

Ephesians 1:15-18

As I have grown in my prayer life, I have found myself praying more often for other people.  I pray for friends who are going through a difficult time and those who have specific prayer requests.  I pray for my mom, brother, and sister and their families.  I pray for my husband that he will continue to be a good husband and father and I pray for the ministry God has entrusted him at church.  I pray for my children that they will grow in Christ and make wise choices while they are at school.  I love how the more I have used prayer, the more God has me pray for others.  Yesterday, I was reminded how I should be praying for believers around the world as well.  He has also been showing me in scripture other things to pray over people.  There are many wonderful examples of what we should be praying into people's lives (and our own) in the Bible, particularly in the Epistles (New Testament letters).  Please read with me the beginning of a prayer Paul prayed over the Ephesian church in Ephesians 1:15-18.

The first thing that Paul prayed was for a Spirit of wisdom.  James 1:5 says, "If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you."  God is generous in what He gives us including wisdom, but we need to ask.  This is such an important prayer to be praying over ourselves and others because wisdom will help us understand how to make better choices in life.  Wisdom will also help us learn and grow as we walk with God.  Paul also prays for insight or revelation, which is apokalypsis in Greek.  This word means to have a "disclosure of truth...concerning things before unknown," (see 1).  There is always more about God and the Bible that we just don't understand; however, isn't it encouraging to know that we can pray that God reveals the unknown to us so we can continue to perfect our faith.

Paul also prays, "that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people..." I find the phrase "the eyes of your heart" so interesting because it gives us a word picture of how we should be viewing this world. We should not be looking through our own human vision; we should be looking with our heart with an enlightenment of the hope we have in Christ. When we view the world with this enlightenment, all the things that seem hopeless no longer bog us down. We can have a renewed hope which can propel us to love others and continue doing the work that God has called us to do.

I will continue to look at the rest of this prayer tomorrow, but I want to leave you with this challenge: will you pray for wisdom, revelation and enlightenment of vision for yourself and others?

1. Blue Letter Bible. "Dictionary and Word Search for apokalypsis (Strong's 602)". Blue Letter Bible. 1996-2011. 19 Sep 2011. < http:// www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?
Strongs=G602&t=NLT >

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.