Friday, October 28, 2011

Focus

Ephesians 4:30-32

I have found that so much of my walk with Christ is focus.  There are times when my gaze is fixed on Him and I follow Him with complete confidence.  But then there are times when I get sidetracked and I find myself looking at something else on the journey.  It is during those times that I mess up.  I loose my focus and then loose my footing.  I read another post at Seeds of Faith Women where Courtney wrote about being intentional.  She wrote about the fact that when she is not purposely doing what is right, she will unintentionally do the wrong thing.  This is so true!  The only way that we will consistently do what pleases God is be intentional about doing it.  Please look up Ephesians 4:30-32.

Verses 30 and 31 tell us that we have been set apart (also translated as sealed) by the Holy Spirit, so we should live in a way that reflects it.  Living any other way brings sorrow to Him.  A seal is used to show authenticity, and we have the seal of the King of Kings on our lives.  We are His!  The word for redemption in Greek is apolytrōsis which can also mean to pay a ransom.  It is a good reminder that a price has been paid for our redemption and the incredible love Christ has for us is greater than we can comprehend.  When focusing on this love and undeserved grace, we begin to live a life that is more intentional.

What do we need to do intentionally?  Verse 31 says, "Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior."  We need to be intentional about getting rid of the things that do not reflect God.  These are all things that will hinder us in our walk.  We can want to get rid of these things, but the only way to shed these behaviors is to intentionally take the steps to quit.  We can pray for the Holy Spirit to empower us to do what is right.  Verse 32 says, "Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you."  Once again, focusing on the forgiveness that has been so freely extended to us will help to remember to do the right thing.  So, knowing this, I need to keep my focus on my loving Savior.  I need to not look at my entitlement and look at the grace of God.  That focus changes everything and when I do that I live more intentionally.

Where is your focus?

Linking up with Brag On God Friday and Spiritual Sundays.

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad the Holy Spirit nudges me sometime to get rid of that stuff! And I am so thankful the Lord forgives me when I don't "walk the talk."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today my intentions are to get well! But seriously, thanks for the reminder to be intentional!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whidbey Woman: I am so thankful for God's forgiveness as well! It is wonderful how He even helps us get back up when we fall!

    Esther Joy: Praying you do get well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right. It is so easy to get sidetracked. Thank you for sharing these words of wisdom. We definitely need to stay focused, and in our world today that is nearly impossible. In fact, I think it would be impossible without the help of the Holy Spirit.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting, Charlotte! You're right, the Holy Spirit is what makes staying focused possible.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.