Saturday, October 22, 2011

Lilies of the Fields

Matthew 6:26-34




"And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?"  Matthew 6:30 (NLT)




I have some violets on my end table that are blooming like crazy.  In fact, they are blooming better than I have ever seen violets bloom.  I cannot claim that it is because I am a tremendous gardener, I think I found the right window.  I also transplanted them into a bigger pot and put them in miracle grow soil.  They have no control whatsoever when I will water them.  But I do water them because I like to see them thrive and grow and bloom.

God wants to see us thrive and grow and bear amazing fruit; however, for a moment I found myself forgetting that.  I was focused on my worries about tomorrow (next week) and the out-of-my-control circumstances instead of focusing on the fact that God knows what we need.  God knows my needs before I know I need them.  Jesus tells us in Matthew 6:33, "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need."  My focus needs to be on God and how He wants me to live and I can trust that He will provide everything I need.  Psalm 55:22 says, "Give your burdens to the Lord, and He will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall."

So, I am reminded again of God's loving provision for those who follow Him.  Those worries are not going to step in and take care of me - they will rob me of my peace.  But God, oh but God!  When I give those worries to God, He will replace them with a peace that passes understanding because He is the One in control.  I can think I have everything planned and under control; but God is the One who is over all, in all, and through all (Ephesians 4:6).  Proverbs 16:3 says, "Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and He will establish your plans."  He will establish my plans.  That is all that matters.

Linking up with Spiritual Sundays.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon:

    "God knows my needs before I know I need them." Just prior to visiting here, I left a similar comment to someone. We also discussed this in our weekly Bible study on Thursday. To know that He knew before the foundation of the earth is amazing. I also like the words found in Psalm 37:25, "I have never seen the righteous forsaken, or their seed begging for bread."

    Many blessings,
    Joan

    (Thank you for your visit.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joan. What an encouraging Psalm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog (Fear of the Lord) and your kind comment. I totally agree with your words that God knows our needs and will meet them and for us not to worry. It is so easy to get caught up in the moment, so to speak, and worry aobut this and that, but if we can keep our hearts focused on who really matters and trust in his word, we will have that peace, indeed, that transcends understanding! I hope you have a restful rest of the weekend!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Betty...since writing this post the issue that was causing stress has been relieved. God is so good! I was up late when I wrote this post because of the anxiety just by writing this and reading His Word brought peace. I'm so glad I turned to the Bible for rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've written it well, Sharon, nothing to add. As long as we put our trust in God and in His Word, we are always in the right track and find rest in Him.

    Thank you for visiting my blog. You have a lovely blog. Just looking at it makes me feel peaceful :). Have a blessed week!

    Rina

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great comfort to know that God knows what I need even before I do and that He supplies my every need. Not necessarily my every want although He supplies a lot of that too, but every need. Thank you for sharing this lovely post.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for visiting and for your kind words, Rina.

    Charlotte, I do love seeing how even the little things are given to us by our wonderful Savior!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this beautiful reminder of God's provision and the peace that comes from trusting Him.

    Jer. 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

    You have an inspiring blog and I will follow it, and I invite you to follow mine, Saved by Grace:
    http://savedbygracebiblestudy.blogspot.com/

    Love in Him,
    Laurie Collett

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.