Saturday, October 1, 2011

Memory Verse #19

Proverbs 18:10

"The Name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe."

As I began my study on Ephesians, I looked at the story of the sons of Sceva (Acts 19).  They tried to use Jesus's Name as part of their incantations and suffered severely as a result.  The church in Ephesus then saw that there was power in the Name of Jesus and held great respect for it.  While I was at my church's women's retreat, this verse was used by one of the speakers and it reminded me of that story.  It reminded me that while we may understand that there is power in the Name of Jesus, do we find safety in His Name?  Do we view His Name as our safety, our refuge?  God wants us to run to Him.  A tower wasn't just used for its fortified strength, it was used as a watch tower as well and as a place to defend an area.  Soldiers can be placed in various spots on the tower and attack their enemy while being protected by the strong wall.  Thinking of God being a strong tower (or mighty fortress), we see that we not only can run to God for our defense but we can also depend on Him to keep watch for us.

Do you depend on God as your place of refuge?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.