Wednesday, October 19, 2011

One

Ephesians 4:3-6

I love reading the Bible because it is so fresh and new every time I read it.  God has a way of revealing something new even if I have read a particular section of scripture multiple times.  Yesterday, my ten year old daughter had to listen to me talk about the wonderful things I've been learning this week and she was so patient! I just want to recap quickly because what I've looked at on Monday and Tuesday feed into today.  On Monday, I looked at how we have been invited by name to take part in God's plan for salvation (or invited to the wedding feast).  Yesterday, I explored the things we've been told we should do to live a life worthy of our call.  I also learned that Paul talked about being united in the Spirit being bound in peace just as ligaments attach the bones in a body.  With that quick synopsis, please look up Ephesians 4:3-6.

Paul makes a list of things that we can know and believe that there is only one: body, Spirit, hope, Lord, faith, baptism, God and Father.  The book of Ephesians has mentioned the idea of the body of Christ (and church) and we are told in verse 3 that the body is bound together in peace.  I also studied in Ephesians 2 that all believers are united into a new and unique body of Christ - there is nothing like it.  We are also told that there is only one Holy Spirit.  This Spirit is who empowers us to do the work God has planned for us.

We read that there is one "glorious hope for the future."  On Monday I looked at how our invitation could also be translated as an invitation to a feast and explored the fact that God sends out an invitation to the wedding feast of the Lamb (Jesus) in Revelation 19.  That is a glorious hope!  To have the hope that every tear will be wiped from our eyes and we will be living with God (Revelation 21:3-5) is wonderful.  We have one Lord.  I want to quickly point out that the idea of calling God "Lord" is showing our status as His servants.  So, we could also say that we only have one master.

To say that there is one faith is like saying there is nothing else that we could put our trust in.  Our faith should only be in God.  The idea of Paul writing about one baptism reminds me that this was an issue for the Ephesians when Paul first met them.  He showed them that being baptized in the Name of Jesus was the only baptism that mattered.  It was through that baptism that they recognized that there was a need for repentance and only Christ could provide forgiveness and salvation.  We can also stand firm and know that there is only one God and Father.  Paul wrote more about how God is our true ancestor in Ephesians 3:14-15 and in Ephesians 4, he is reminding us again that God is our Father.  Wow!  What a way to wrap it all up into a statement of faith!

Do you live your life based on One?

Linking up with iFellowship Blog Hop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.