Monday, October 31, 2011

Who Do You Imitate?

Ephesians 5:1-2

Before my husband was called into ministry he was a band teacher.  I would take our two little boys to his concerts, where they would see him conducting his bands.  Our oldest son was just a toddler at the time and he desperately wanted to be just like him.  He would grab a pen and wave it in the air singing, "Na, na, na," as if it were a conductor's baton.  While we were at the concerts, my son would have his pen and conduct from his chair just like his dad.  He was so adorable trying to imitate everything his dad was doing.  I have seen other people that I admire and attempted to imitate things they did.  We are told in the Bible that God is the One that we are really supposed to imitate.  Please look up Ephesians 5:1-2.

I don't know about you, but sometimes when I know that I am doing something that isn't up to God's standards I am tempted to look at others around me.  It is easy to look at other people and see them doing the same or similar things and feel "normal."  The problem with watching others in order to feel better about myself means that I am not looking at the only One whom I should be imitating.  According to Ephesians 5:1, I should be imitating God.  The only way I can fully imitate God is to keep my eyes completely on Him.  It is when I look at Him I see what needs to change in me and then I can make the changes necessary to imitate Him more accurately.

Ephesians 5:2 shows us the ultimate way we are to imitate God, which is to "live a life filled with love."  As we continue reading, a life filled with love isn't just having loving feelings toward others; it is acting on the love we have for others.  After all, what good is love if we don't show it?  We are told that Jesus sacrificed Himself because He love us.  We will not be able to spiritually save someone by dying for them; however, there are other ways we can sacrifice ourselves out of love for others.  We can sacrifice our comfort.  When we are living a life full of love, we will need to be uncomfortable in order for someone else to be comfortable.  We can sacrifice our convenience.  Sometimes love calls us to a place where we are inconvenienced in order to meet the needs of someone else.  What about sacrificing our desires, recognition, or pride?  God wants my love for others to be more than just an expression; He wants my love to be active.  This is how we imitate God's love.

What are you willing to sacrifice in order to imitate God?

Linking up with Sharing His Beauty.

2 comments:

  1. I love the example you gave of your son copying your husband! As children, we emulate those we love and admire! Oh if we all would have the heart of children and become imitators of our Heavenly Father!

    I pray for a humble heart that is willing to put self aside to follow God's example!

    Blessings, Joan

    P.S. Thanks for linking up with Sharing His Beauty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.