Monday, November 14, 2011

Be Strong In the Lord

Ephesians 6:10-12

If you knew me personally, you would know that I am not physically strong or even physically fit.  I used to exercise starting in college and I continued when I was a young adult; however, as I became busier after my third child was born, I let go of my good workout habits.  I mentioned that I have started a membership at a gym in one of my recent posts, and even though it has only been a few weeks, I am already noticing subtle differences.  I would like to become more physically fit and stronger because there are just so many health benefits with making those changes.  We have a spiritual health that we need to consider as well, and this week I am study about the armor of God.  Please read Ephesians 6:10-12.

Paul starts out this last part of his letter to the church in Ephesus by saying to be "strong in the Lord and in His mighty power."  I want to stop there for a moment and point out that he is not saying to just be strong, because our human strength is not good enough; we are to be strong in the Lord.  How do we become strong in the Lord?  First, I want to remind you that a major theme in Ephesians is the unity we have with Christ as His body.  The other thing that is interesting about being strong "in" the Lord is that the word translated as "in" is en in Greek. This is a preposition that not only means in, but it can also mean "by" or "with."  So, it could be read as "be strong with the Lord."  That unity means that we can be strong.

Another thing that makes us stronger is spending time in prayer and spending time in the Bible.  I know that I say that a lot in my posts, but I just cannot emphasize it enough.  When we are spending time in prayer, we are becoming more intimate with God and can stand firm on His promises and in the hope we have in Christ.  When we are spending time in the Bible, we become more aware of God's love for us and how He wants us to live.  We also begin to understand the hope and promises He has given us.  Those things make us stronger spiritually.

We are told in the next 2 verses why it is so important to be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power.  Even though we feel like we are fighting against the physical things we can see and feel, we are actually in a spiritual battle.  We are fighting against things that we cannot see and it is important to strengthen our spiritual lives.  Remember, we are not fighting on our own; God is with us.  We are unified with Christ, and we are unified as a church.  We can cover each other in prayer, and we can have confidence knowing that God is greater.

Are you doing spiritual exercises?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.