Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Changes

Ephesians 5:6-9

I am physically out of shape and there is no other reason for it other than there are lifestyle changes that I need to make that I haven't wanted to make.  I rationalized it with excuses such as, "I don't have time," or "I can't afford a gym membership."  But the reality is that if it was a priority I would find the time and find a way to workout at home.  The good news is that I recently joined a gym that only charges $10 a month and my husband and I are getting up extremely early to workout.  As I have grown in my walk with God, I have noticed that there are some things that I used to do and I now know that God doesn't want that behavior in my life.  He has pointed out to me things that need to change.  One thing I have noticed is that before changing, I also found myself trying to rationalize why my behavior was an exception to the rule.  God doesn't want rationalizations; however, He wants obedience and change.  Please read Ephesians 5:6-9.

Yesterday, I looked at how we are not to engage in immorality, impurity, and greed.  Today, we see that there will be people who will try to make excuses for these sins and God doesn't take excuses.  God wants change, and He gives us the Holy Spirit who empowers us to make these changes.  I'm not saying that makes it easy to change, but it is not impossible to change.  In fact it is necessary.  When you think of it from the perspective that Christ sacrificed Himself so we could have the seal of God on our lives, it is understandable why God doesn't want excuses.  He paid the greatest price for our salvation.

We are reminded that we are no longer in darkness - we have the light of God in us.  When we are in the dark, we cannot see the things that need to change; however, the light in us exposes the behaviors that no longer fit with our new selves.  As I am working out and becoming more fit, the clothes I currently wear will no longer fit.  It is the same with our new selves - all those old behaviors don't fit us any more and we are to put on our new nature (Ephesians 4:24) and live like children of the light.  Galatians 3:26-27 tells us what we put on as children of God, "For you are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus. And all who have been united with Christ in baptism have put on Christ, like putting on new clothes."

Are you making the changes that living in the light exposes?  Are you putting on the new behaviors that unity with Christ requires?

Linking up with iFellowship Blog Hop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.