Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Identity

Ephesians 5:3-5

What identifies you?  Is it your job or family?  Is it your position in life?  Is it your talent?  Is it your behavior?  How do people identify who you are?  Maybe who you are depends on who you are with - you are the dependable worker during the day and the life of the party at night.  I've observed that the very thing that identifies a person usually is their priority.  So maybe my question should be, what are your priorities?  Do you live to please people, or you do you live for attention?  Do you seek to gain more things or money?  These are not easy questions to answer!  But they are questions we should be asking ourselves on a regular basis to check where we are in our relationship with God.  Please read Ephesians 5:3-5.

You may be wondering why I am titling my post "Identity" when these verses seem to express warnings against immorality, impurity, and greed.  As I thought about these verses, I felt that the strongest statement is found in verse 5 where it says, "For a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of the world."  Yikes!  I think we often look at the word greedy, we thing of someone who wants more money; however, the word for greed in Greek actually means covetous.  So this means that the person not only wants more, but wants what others have.  In a sense greed is looking not at what you already have, but greed is looking at what you don't have.  Greed can live in the hearts of both the rich and poor.

What do you want more of?  The problem with this is that when we become children of God, our focus should no longer be on the things of this world.  Our focus should no longer be on what we don't have or on whether or not we please people.  We are told in verse 4 tells us that thankfulness toward God should be replacing these things.  Thankfulness helps us focus on the blessings we have received from God rather than what we don't have.  Trust me, the blessings we have received from Him have a greater value than anything in this world can provide.  Once again, I think greed tells us what we value and where our identity truly lies.  When we are children of God, our identity is supposed to be from Him and the seal He has placed on us (Ephesians 4:30).  If our identity is coming from anything else, it signals a problem.  If we long for anything, it should be a deeper longing for God.

What is your identity?  Do you want more of Christ or more of the world?

Linking up with A Pause On the Path.

1 comment:

  1. Sharon, if you had asked me this question when I was still at the height of my career long before I surrendered my life to the Lord, I would have answered you without blinking, "My work, my career - it defines me."

    But now, I know so well my REAL identity: a redeemed of the Lord who has found great mercy - a precious child of God. Halleluiah!

    Thank you for discussing this. Have a blessed week,
    Rina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.