Monday, November 21, 2011

The Lord Is the Only God

Isaiah 43:1-13

I am very excited about this new study!  As I prayed and thought about what I was going to study next, I kept going back to the post I wrote a little over a month ago entitled, "Only God."  I have really felt led to study how we can claim, "Only God," in our lives, circumstances and how we relate to God.  Just the other day, my husband experienced a series of events play out that we declared, "Only God would have done that!"  As I heard his story, I was so blessed to hear how God protected him and my daughter from a likely accident.  Then even after that, my husband and daughter got to witness His guidance and provision during their circumstance that was beyond their control.  I love those only God moments because I am reminded of His amazing power.  As I was worshiping in church this weekend, I was singing a worship song that reminded me that it is only because of God that I am who I am today.  God has healed me and made me whole and I am so grateful for the work He has done in my life.

Before we look at anything else, we need to look at who God is (as much as we can comprehend).  I want to explore what it means that the Lord is the only God.  Isaiah 43:1-13 tells us that God is the only God.  This is an incredible section of scripture because God reveals so much of who He is, but I want to focus mainly on a statement that He makes in a couple of verses.  In verse 10, God is telling Israel that they were chosen to believe that He is the only God.  He continues on by telling us that there never was another god before Him and there will never be a god after Him.  In verse 12, God reminds the Israelites that they are His witnesses that He is the only God.  As I think about those statements, they were spoken to the Israelites; however, we can see how they apply to us today.  We are told that when we choose to follow Christ, we are adopted into God's family. 

Ephesians 1:4-6 says, "Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes.  God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure.  So we praise God for the glorious grace he has poured out on us who belong to his dear Son." 

Galatians 4:4-6 says, "But when the right time came, God sent his Son, born of a woman, subject to the law.  God sent him to buy freedom for us who were slaves to the law, so that he could adopt us as his very own children.  And because we are his children, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, prompting us to call out, 'Abba, Father.'"
 
When we accept and believe that the only way to receive salvation is through Jesus and we are willing to follow Him, we become a part of God's family.  So, it makes me think of the things that God has done in my life and how I can be a witness to the fact that He is the only God.  This is His plan.  We witness His power, provision, and love so we can declare Him the only God.

Do you believe the Lord is the only God?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.