Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankful for God

1 Corinthians 8:4-6

Happy Thanksgiving!  For those of you who visit from other countries, Thanksgiving in the United States of America is a holiday celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November to give thanks.  A traditional Thanksgiving meal would include turkey (some have ham or both), stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, gravy, vegetables, and pie (often pumpkin, apple, or pecan, but definitely any pie is good!).  All month long, I've been reading wonderful blog posts from other bloggers about giving thanks to God.  I believe that when we have a spirit of thankfulness, we find ourselves content with what God has given us and with what He is doing in our lives.  So, thank you to all my blogging friends for helping to keep all our hearts focused on thankfulness toward God.  With my study being Only God, I wanted to share how thankful I am for God (even though I don't think I can completely convey my feelings in a post).  Please read 1 Corinthians 8:4-6.

In these verses, we are reminded that God is the only God.  I love the way it is translated in the New Living Translation when Paul says, "...there may be so-called gods..."  Isn't that true?  I have always enjoyed Greek and Roman mythology because the stories are so interesting to read, but this was the culture that Paul was writing to.  These are the people who believed in Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Hades, and so on.  They believed that there was a god of the sky and a god of the earth (who was not very friendly).  They were also fearful that there may be a god that they didn't know about.  The problem with these "gods or goddesses" is that they never interacted with humans except in their stories.  No one had a personal encounter with their god.

Our God is different because He is real and He is the only real God.  These verses remind us that He created us and we live for Him.  But it goes beyond that because we are also told that He has given us life through Christ Jesus.  This life isn't just living and breathing on earth; it is eternal life.  It is grace and salvation.  Oh how am so deeply grateful that God loves us that much!  God says in Isaiah 46:4, "I will be your God throughout your lifetime - until your hair is white with age.  I made you and I will care for you.  I will carry you along and save you."  I am so thankful that God's work didn't end with the creation story; He continues to interact with us and care for us.  This is a life-long commitment!  I am so thankful that He doesn't stop working on me!  He is the One who has given me physical life and He has given me eternal life even when I did nothing to deserve it.

Are you thankful for God?  Are you thankful for the life you have been given?

Linking up with Brag On God Friday.

1 comment:

  1. Really nice info, its something new for people of India and the main intention is to be thankful to God in all sense. God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.