Friday, November 4, 2011

Wisdom For Living

Ephesians 5:15-20

I like being around wise people.  When I am with them, I try to glean all I can from them and hope their wisdom rubs off on me.  I never want my conversations with them to end because I want to continue hearing their wisdom so I can live my life with wisdom.  I wonder if the church in Ephesus understood how God's wisdom was being spoken to them through Paul.  I wonder how his letter to the church was received as they were reading it.  Did they accept that it was written to them in love?  Did they understand that it wasn't just Paul's words on the page but that it was God's words?  The section of scripture that I am reading today is a summary of how to live out the life that children of God should be living.  As I was reading through it, it seemed like a father speaking words of wisdom to his children.  Please read Ephesians 5:15-20 with the idea that God is speaking His fatherly wisdom to you.

After looking at the second half of chapter four and the first half of chapter five, this is a summary of everything that Paul had written.  It almost feels like a bunch of bullet points for us to keep living out.  The first bullet point is to be careful how we live.  We are told not to live like fools, but we are to live like those who are wise.  This statement is deeper than it sounds because if we don't think we are wise, how do we live like the wise?  I think there are two things to remember - God's wisdom on how to live is found all over the Bible. The book of Proverbs gives us a lot of information on how to live wisely.  The other thing to remember is that you can find someone who lives out a godly life.  Godly people live out godly lives because they have been living in God's wisdom for a long time.  We can all learn from them!  The next bullet points are also tools for living a wise and godly life.

The second bullet point is to not act thoughtlessly.  This sounds like a simple statement, but earlier I studied the fact that is actually very easy to live life without purpose.  The verse continues by telling us to "understand what the Lord wants you to do."  We need to live the way the Lord wants us to live intentionally.  If we are not thinking about the things that please God, we will unintentionally do what displeases Him.  But whether or not we meant to do the wrong thing isn't the issue; God wants us to do the right thing on purpose.  We are reminded that we are to make the most of every opportunity.  This makes me ask myself if I always view everything I do as an opportunity.  Live life on purpose!

The next bullet point is to not be drunk because it will ruin our lives.  As a child of an alcoholic, I can testify that living through life drunk will not just ruin your life, but it will effect the people you care about.  Even one episode of drunkenness can muddle your thoughts enough so that you can do something that will ruin your life.  We are told that instead of being filled with alcohol we are to be filled with the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit can take us to a place of true joy that alcohol will never be able to provide.  We can find a closeness with God when we worship and praise Him that will satisfy us better than wine.

The last bullet point that is listed here is to give thanks to God.  Remember, it is in giving thanks for what we have that guards our hearts from coveting what we do not have.  When we are focusing on the blessings that God has given us, we can find contentment with what we have.  This morning, I can enjoy a beautiful sunrise because of the direction the window in our apartment faces.  That is a blessing!  Let's live our lives with purpose to please God.

Are you living like one who is wise?

You are invited to read my post at Seeds of Faith Women today!  Linking up with Brag On God Friday and Spiritual Sundays.

3 comments:

  1. Wisdom is to Know God and serve Him. As we grow older, I hope we have learned enough from our mistakes to become wise at lease in living for the Lord. Be careful, be thoughtful, be sober, be filled with the Holy Spirit, and be thankful!
    Thank you for those bullets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting. I also forgot to mention that as we learn and grow we should be sharing those bits of widsom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have made so many good points in this post. Time is going by so swiftly it is sometimes scary. We should all live life with a purpose, and that purpose should be to love God with all our hearts and our neighbors as ourselves. I think if we can get that right, we will most likely find our purpose. I agree with you about wisdom. I've always been impressed with the fact that Solomon asked for wisdom. Also the Bible says if anyone wants wisdom they should ask God who gives freely. More people should take advantage of that promise.
    Thank you for sharing again, Sharon.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.