Thursday, December 29, 2011

Experience Jesus

John 4:1-30, 39-42

Have you ever noticed that you can hear how wonderful something is, but until you experience it yourself you cannot fully grasp what you are being told?  For example, I had always heard that Disney World in Florida was a great place to go with the family and when our family was given a trip to go to Disney this summer I was full of anticipation.  Even with all the build-up and anticipation I felt, once I was there and experienced the incredible customer service and attractions, I was amazed.  It was an experience like no other, and they bent over backwards to make sure we enjoyed our week-long visit.  There were some people in a Samaritan village that had a similar experience with what they heard about Jesus and then what they experienced with Jesus; please turn to John 4:1-30.

Sometimes, it seemed that Jesus talked in riddles; maybe it was to get us all to think deeper.  Whenever I read this story, I sympathize with this Samaritan woman because I'm not sure if I would have understood what Jesus was saying to me right away.  First He asked for water from the well, but then began to talk about living water where she will never thirst again.  Now, I know that I would be confused!  Instead of explaining in plain language, He revealed that He knew all about her.  She then made a statement that the Messiah will explain everything when He comes.  Jesus then answered, "I AM the Messiah."  I wonder if the earth shook as He spoke the powerful truth of who He is.  As a result, the woman ran to the village to tell everyone to come meet this man who knew everything about her.

The thing I want to focus on is what happened next in John 4:39-42.  The villagers came to meet this man that the woman told them about and asked Him to stay.  He stayed for two more days revealing Himself to even more people.  The end result was what the villagers said in verse 42, “Now we believe, not just because of what you told us, but because we have heard him ourselves. Now we know that he is indeed the Savior of the world.”  They believed because of what the woman told them, but once they experienced Jesus themselves they knew that He is the Savior of the world!  I love that statement they made because it is so true.  At some point we begin to believe that Jesus is who He says He is, but then He touches our heart so we know.  We experience Him in a way that we know He loves us and is our Savior.

Do you believe Jesus is who He says He is?  Have you experienced Him so you know He is your Savior?

Linking up with Thought Provoking Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.