Wednesday, December 28, 2011

God Saves From Bondage of Sin

Titus 3:3-7

I have been making some changes as I try to fight weight gain such as joining a gym and watching what I eat.  Unfortunately, the holiday season is a difficult time to use self-control.  I have been doing a pretty good job at tracking how many goodies I am eating so I don't overdo it.  I'm sure anyone who has tried to diet or just be in better control of how they're eating can agree with this:  every time I eat something sweet I crave sweet things more intensely.  When I have gone for a period of time without eating something sweet, I find myself not desiring sweet foods as much.  The Bible tells us that sin can be the same way; our sinful desires take over and sin is what we find ourselves wanting.  But there is a better way!  Please read Titus 3:3-7.

In verse three, Paul uses strong language to show what life without God's salvation looks like.  He uses the word, slave, to show how we are tied to our sin when we are without Jesus.  This word in Greek is douleuō and means slave, but it can also mean, "to give oneself up to" (see footnote 1).  Vines uses the word, bondage to describe the word in this context (see footnote 2).  This really does give us an idea of how we either serve God or sin; there really is no other.  We may even think that we are serving ourselves, but when we take a good look, we are serving the sinful desires that we have.  Sin holds us bondage and is not a kind master.

But God, loves us!  Despite how we were living and what we served, He made a plan of salvation for us.  This was not because of anything we did to please Him - remember, living a life of sin means we are serving sin so we cannot please God in that lifestyle.  His plan of salvation was made out of love and grace and mercy.  This grace means that we are declared righteous and that we inherit the hope of eternal life through Jesus.  In verse 7, the Greek uses the word, klēronomos, which is translated as heir.  The idea of being an heir or gaining an inheritance is such a special word picture to me because it implies something you receive after someone dies.  We receive this inheritance because Jesus died on the cross for us and conquered death by rising back to life three days later.  When we believe in this gift of salvation through Jesus, we are no longer a slave to sin, we now serve a master who is also our loving Father.    In fact, Jesus tells us that when we are serving Him, the burden is light (Matthew 11:28-30).

Do you believe that God broke the bondage of sin through Jesus?  Do you choose to serve God rather than sin?

Linking up with Word Filled Wednesday.

1. Blue Letter Bible. "Dictionary and Word Search for douleuō (Strong's 1398)". Blue Letter Bible. 1996-2011. 28 Dec 2011. < http:// www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?
Strongs=G1398&t=NLT >


2. Vine, W. E. "Bondage", Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words. Blue Letter Bible. 1940. 24 June, 1996 28 Dec 2011.

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I do believe He has broken my bondage to sin. However, as long as I'm here in this flesh I still get tempted to indulge my flesh. Christmas is a time that is very enticing with all of my favorite foods. But I'm getting ready to stick to a plan of healthy foods and exercise.

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God, whom the son sets free is free indeed. Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about desiring sweet things - it's amazing when I'm self-controlled for a few days, how it gets easier! That's an interesting way of thinking about it, that we can either serve God or sin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, everyone. Praise God for His freedom!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.