Monday, December 19, 2011

Only God Is God And Human

John 1:1-18

I love Christmas, and my reasons are different today than when I was a child.  As a child, Christmas was exciting because I knew that meant that I would get a lot of gifts.  I enjoyed the story of Christ coming to earth and enjoyed going to church to celebrate the birth of Jesus.  However, as an adult I am touched beyond words that our Messiah would humble Himself and become human in order to give us life.  Today, I am starting week four of my "Only God" study.  So far, I have studied how God is the only God, only God is our Provider, and only God is our Creator.  This week, I am studying that only God is both God and human.  It is an amazing truth that Christianity is built on and I want to look at this truth and what that means for all people.  Since I looked at God as our Creator just last week, I thought that it would be great to show the perspective of where Jesus entered the scene.  Please look up John 1:1-18.

Throughout last week, I explored how God spoke all of creation into existence, but I didn't focus on what exactly that meant in relation to Jesus.  Thinking of Genesis 1, John 1 gives us an idea of where Jesus was.  We are told that in the beginning was the Word [of God].  Just as we read in Genesis 1, John 1 tells us that God created the world through His Word.  We also see that the Word gave life to everything.  If you scroll down a few verses to John 1:14 it tells us, "So the Word became human and made his home among us.  He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness.  And we have seen his glory, the glory of the Father’s one and only Son."  So we now are getting a glimpse of the fact that the Word is God and He became human.  We also see that the Word is God's Son.  Putting all that knowledge together, we know that everything was created through Jesus.  1 Corinthians 8:6 says, "But we know that there is only one God, the Father, who created everything, and we live for him. And there is only one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom God made everything and through whom we have been given life."

Verse 16 tells us, "From His abundance we have all received one gracious blessing after another.  For the law was given through Moses, but God’s unfailing love and faithfulness came through Jesus Christ.  No one has ever seen God. But the unique One, who is Himself God, is near to the Father’s heart. He has revealed God to us."  God gifted us with unfailing love and faithfulness through Jesus and has revealed Himself through Jesus.  All this week, I plan to explore the fact that Jesus humbled Himself and came to earth so that we could be free.  It is the most incredible gift we have been given and one that should be celebrated every day of the year.

Do you believe that God loves you enough to humble Himself and become human?

Linking up with Sharing His Beauty.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yes! I believe! It is an amazing fact, isn't it? Blessings to you this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.