Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Only God Knows What We Need

Matthew 6:25-34

When I was in middle school, there was a Christian song that was popular called, "Shopping List."  This was a song that was meant to be funny; however, it also had an important message that God doesn't exist to give us everything we want.  It was about the Christian who only came to God when they wanted something.  I heard this message in multiple places, so I became cautious of asking God for anything and then I would be full of worry because I wasn't trusting in Him.  Now swing the pendulum in the other direction and consider the teachings that tell us that when we are in a relationship with God, we can be living the life.  There is a belief that if we have enough faith, whatever we ask of God we will receive.  There has to be a balance in there somewhere! This week, I am looking at the fact that only God is our Provider and today I want to look at how only God knows what we truly need.  Please read Matthew 6:25-34.

In these verses, I actually feel like Jesus is telling us that God knows what we need even better than we know what we need.  I think of it kind of like parenting a young baby.  When a baby is born, he/she may not be able to interpret their discomfort and understand that their diaper needs to be changed; however, the parent can understand that a dirty diaper is not healthy and will put a clean diaper on the baby.  I even remember my infant children protesting loudly as I was changing their but then becoming very happy when a dry diaper was put on them.  Just as the parent will always feed, change and care for their child God will always care for us.  We are told in verse 33 that instead of worrying about our needs, we are to seek the kingdom of God more than anything else and God will supply all our needs.

This doesn't mean that we are not to ask God for anything, but that shouldn't be the purpose for our living.  When we are seeking God for convenience, that is when we could face a crisis of faith.  If our relationship with God is based on perfect health and comfortable living we may find ourselves struggling when God doesn't provide to us in that way.  But there is also a balance because we shouldn't be depending solely on ourselves for our needs - that just leads to a life full of stress.  When we forget that God is our Provider, the worries of life will take over.  Jesus tells us that those kind of worries are what dominate the thoughts of unbelievers.  Seeking God's kingdom and righteous living are to be for God's children and we can trust that God knows what we need.  It makes me wonder what I am sure that I need that God knows is really a want.

Do you trust that God knows your needs and will provide?  Do you seek after God above all else?

Linking up with On Your Heart Tuesdays and Soli Deo Gloria.

2 comments:

  1. I love the way that you related this to how we see our babies' needs and care for them. And how we know their needs beyond what they know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon,
    Good reminder to seek, seek, seek.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.