Thursday, December 8, 2011

Trust In Money or God?

1 Timothy 6:17-19

This summer, my husband and I were blessed by a trip to Disney that his parents provided for the entire family.  This was a trip that we wouldn't have been able to provide at this point in time and we were so grateful for their gift.  Over the years, my husband and I have witnessed God's provision in amazing ways, and I felt Him impress on my heart that He enjoys giving to us.  But through this trip, I saw how God pointed out that He enjoys giving us fun as well.  Even with all His provision that I have experienced, I still find myself panicking when a need surpasses our budget.  I find myself trusting more in the money which feels tangible, rather putting my absolute trust in God.  The Bible is very clear that the opposite should happen; please look up 1 Timothy 6:17-19.

These verses tell us that we shouldn't put our trust in money which is unreliable.  What seems to be a reliable and tangible thing to trust in, proves to be unreliable.  Our trust should be put in God, because He is the only One who provides.  This verse tells us that God even provides things for our enjoyment.  Earlier this week, I looked at the fact that when we make His kingdom our priority, He will provide all our needs.  Yesterday, I explored that He provides generously so that He can use us to provide for the needs of others.  When we read through these verses, we are reminded again that God provides for us so we can share His blessings with others.

The other thing that I noticed is that we are reminded to do good things.  Ephesians 2:10 tells us that we have been created anew in Christ Jesus so we can do the good things that God has planned for us long ago.  So, one way to look at these verses is that He provides us all we need to do the good things He planned for us.  Instead of storing up treasures for ourselves in a life that will end, we will be storing up treasures for our eternal life with Christ.  When we do these things, we bring glory to God, who provides both our needs and things that we can enjoy.  We just need to keep our perspective on why God has given us these things and keep our trust in Him.  When we trust Him, we are more willing to share what He has given us.

Are you trusting God or money?  Do you trust God enough with your provision to share with others?

Linking up with Thought Provoking Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.