Friday, January 6, 2012

The End of the Road?

Philippians 1:10-11

I have said many times that I am not a theologian.  In fact, I have never taken a formal class at a Bible college or seminary, but that still doesn't stop me from wanting to learn all I can.  It doesn't stop me from wanting to dig into the Bible so I can continue to grow in my relationship with God.  One thing that comes back to me often during my time in the Bible is that salvation isn't the end of the journey and we need to remember that!  Actually, salvation is the beginning of a new and better life that God wants us to live out.  It is not a pain-free, problem free life; however, it is a life filled with abundant hope that there is much more to this life than what is out in the world.  Please turn to Philippians 1:10-11.

All this week I have looked at the fact that when we accept the gift of salvation, God makes us a new creation.  James 1:16-18 says, "So don’t be misled, my dear brothers and sisters.  Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens.  He never changes or casts a shifting shadow.  He chose to give birth to us by giving us His true word.  And we, out of all creation, became His prized possession."  I absolutely love how James says that God "chose to give birth to us by giving us His true word."  This gets me excited for several reasons, but I will only subject you to a few.  First, we are reminded in this verse that we are made new with the word picture of God giving birth to us.  Second, we are told this happened because He gave us His true word and we know from John 1 that the Word is Jesus.  So, we are given new birth or new life through Jesus!

But He does this not just for us, but He does it to reveal His glory to the rest of the world.  So, we are challenged to live out a life filled with "the fruit of our salvation," to point out God's work in us.  When we are living in a way that is contrary to human nature, it attracts attention.  People want to know why we are different.  We are the light of the world giving all the glory to God.  I will be the first to tell you that anything good in me is a result of my Heavenly Father doing His work in my life.  It is only because of Christ that I am who I am today; I have come a long way!

Paul writes in Philippians 2:12-13, "Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you.  And now that I am away, it is even more important.  Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear.  For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases Him."  The change that happens in us when are made new is a desire and the power to do what pleases God.  Before we knew God, we had no desire to please Him; however, He places that desire in us when we believe in Jesus.  We can do the things that please God because He has given us the power to do it!  So let's live out our salvation by bearing good fruit to bring glory to God.  Salvation isn't the end of the road!

Are you working to please God as a result of your salvation?

Linking up with Brag On God Friday.

You are invited to read my post on Seeds of Faith Women.

3 comments:

  1. Because of my salvation, I always seek to please my Savior! Doesn't everyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon this is such a good post. I came to Christ 11 years ago, but that was only the beginning. The last 11 years of sanctification has been tough. I did not always seek to please my Savior. I was stuck on my old life and worldy desires and at the same time claiming to be his. Many people think that they are pleaasing him by checking off on their list a daily devotion, Church on Sunday, involved in a small group etc... But our walk should look so different, should so glorify Christ, that the world knows we belong to him and that we are set apart. I look forward to more of your posts and will check out Seeds of Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, that's the best way to live life! Thanks for visiting.

    Sheri, I'm so glad you have seen so much growth! You are so right that involvement doesn't mark spiritual growth. I think that very issue is something the American church is struggling with right now. We do the right thing because it is in our heart not because we are going through the motions. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.