Friday, January 20, 2012

Live Holy

Leviticus 19:1-2

When I was in college, I had friends that wanted to be a part of a sorority, either social or professional.  As they were going through the motions to be a part of the desired society, I noticed that there was a common factor among both the social and professional sororities (or fraternities): they expected certain values or behaviors out of their members and potential members.  When you wore clothing with their Greek letters on it, you were representing that group and needed to live in a way that demonstrated their values.  When we believe that our salvation comes through Christ's sacrifice and resurrection, we learn that God has a standard for all believers to live up to: be holy.  Please read Leviticus 19:1-2.

God is holy and we are His children.  This means that we are live out the values of our family in God which God says clearly in Leviticus.  He didn't stammer in this statement and He didn't leave room for exceptions.  God is holy; therefore, we are to be holy.  My small group is doing a Bible study on the book of James right now, and each day as I read the book and work in the workbook I am convicted of how much I fall short of this!  I think too often we focus so much on making a decision to follow Christ that we lose sight of what following Christ means.  Following Christ isn't just a decision to believe in Him, it is a decision to live like Him - holy.

I don't want to confuse the issue - the Bible is clear that our works are not what save us.  Ephesians 2:4-5 says, "But God is so rich in mercy that He made us alive in Christ even though we were dead in our transgressions.  It is by grace you have been saved."  Paul continued on in Ephesians 2:8-9, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast."  Our works do not save us; however, as a result of our salvation we should be living a holy life.  James writes clearly on this idea in chapter 2.  In order to clarify this thought he wrote in James 2:21-22, "Don't you remember that our ancestor Abraham was shown to be right with God by his actions when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?  You see, his faith and his actions worked together. His actions made his faith complete."  Basically, faith is not just believing - it is acting on what we believe.

I know this is a strong message, and believe me when I say that this message is very much for me.  But after studying about the fact that God is holy, we need to come to a realization that His holiness is incredible and it effects us.  His holiness demands holy living.  The good news is that we are not in this alone.  Our ability to live holy comes through Christ (Philippians 4:13).

How is God's holiness effecting you?

This post is linked with Brag On God Friday.

4 comments:

  1. Sharon--my Bible study took me to the very same verses today. God continues to impress upon me that He created humankind expressly for holiness, to resemble Him in this. And that He provides the way for this to occur. We, essentially, just have to show up and believe (the faith for which, by the way comes from God) This is the hardest part of out life in God, I think...that He did it all and we just have to love Him. The only analogy I can visualize is that our physical birth is similar. We don't do anything to accomplish it, and we don't do anything to make our own lives possible. We just wake up every day. Now, we do decide about the quality of both of our lives, the physical and the spiritual, but that they exist...well, that's all God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really is no way to live holy without the help of God. I am so thankful for His mercy and for His strength to live holy.

      Delete
  2. "His holiness requires that we live holy." It's my daily desire to live out God's command, "Be holy as I am holy." I miss sometimes, but in His holiness God forgives. I'm so very thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.