Monday, January 2, 2012

Only God Makes All Things New

2 Corinthians 5:14-19

I like new beginnings.  There is something about a fresh start that is exciting to me; it is the beginning of an adventure.  As a student, I liked the idea of a new school year or a new semester to begin with a clean slate.  As a musician, the idea of learning a new piece of music was an exciting challenge.  I love cracking open a new book; it is a new world to me.  With all that said, I've never been one to make New Year's resolutions; I saw too many people try and fail.  But now that I look back, so many new goals were made at the beginning of the year as a mark of measuring the beginning and end of something.  Just in my last post, I mentioned how this year I was adding more focus and purpose in what I do, which I guess is a resolution.  So, while I may feel like I'm not making resolutions, I still am.  I am starting something new.  So, it seems fitting this week as the first week of the year to study how only God can make all things new.  Please turn to 2 Corinthians 5:14-19.

Last week, I studied about the forgiveness of sins and salvation we have through Jesus.  This week, I plan to study what that means once we choose to accept this beautiful gift of mercy and grace.  According to these verses, we read that once we believe that Christ died for us and was resurrected with victory over death we are made new.  Looking at verse 17, we read, "This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!"  The word translated in the NLT as "new person," is the Greek word, ktisis.  This an awesome word because it means creation or creature.  I want to emphasize that no one can become a new creation on our own.  Only God can make us into a new creation!

Think about the idea of being a new creation - when we believe in the fact that our salvation only comes through Christ, we are no longer the person we used to be.  We are told in verse 14 that when we believe that Christ died for all of us, we die to ourselves.  Verse 15 tells us that that when we die to ourselves, we no longer are living life to please our human nature, but we are living life to please Christ.  Our purpose in life is no longer a selfish focus on what is best for us, our purpose is to learn and know what pleases God.  We are told that this new purpose even changes the way we view everyone around us because we are no longer looking at them with human eyes, but with the eyes of Christ.  All this happens because we are made into a new creation no longer with human intent but with the intentions of Christ.

Since we are looking at the people around us with the eyes of Christ, we will see that He died for them as well and loves them deeply.  When we focus on the love that Christ has for all, it will change the way we feel about the people around us.  When we are looking at people with our new Christ eyes, we want to see them reconciled to God just as we have been.  This is a new way of thinking that only God can inspire.

Do you believe that you are a new creation?

Linking up with The Beauty In His Grip.

5 comments:

  1. Karen - Praise God! It's such a wonderful knowledge to have, isn't it!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh so true when we realize that we are no different then each other we really start to break away all the walls that keep us from sharing our faith and from building community with each other.
    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thankful to God for His sacrifice! To be a new creation is an incredible blessing! No longer are we chained to our pasts. We are made new in Him!

    Blessings, Joan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.