Thursday, February 16, 2012

Amazing Truth

Colossians 1:20-22

I have always enjoyed reading.  When I was a child, I had my favorites that I could read over and over again.  Books such as Anne of Green Gables, The Chronicles of Narnia, and so many more where on my favorite lists.  I liked the message in the books and I enjoyed the worlds they created, so I never got bored of reading them.  There are certain truths from the Bible that I have known since childhood, but I still get excited over them today.  In fact, it would not be an exaggeration to say that I love hearing those truths even more now than when I first heard them.  As I have grown in my faith, the more exciting it is to hear the truths because I understand what they mean to me even more.  Please read Colossians 1:20-22 to read the most amazing truth that every person in the world needs to hear.

I just want to point out that verse 20 is talking about the fact that it is through Jesus that we are reconciled to God.  This requires us to be humble in our thoughts because we have to admit there was a reason for reconciliation.  The reality is that there is no one who has lived in this world except Jesus who is perfect.  Everyone has done something they were not supposed to do at some point.  Everyone has disobeyed someone in authority over them, or lied, or hurt someone else.  That is called sin.  There is not a single person (other than Jesus) who can claim they are sinless.  But our Creator and God is perfect, pure, and holy and sin cannot be in His presence.  Because of this sin there is a separation between us and God.  But God didn't want to be separated from us!  Isn't that amazing?

There is also a penalty for sin, which is death.  Not just a physical death, but an eternal death.  God, in His unending love for us, made a way for us to be made right with Him.  He sent Jesus, who never sinned, to come and pay our penalty for us.  Jesus suffered the separation from God and faced death.  But the story doesn't end with Jesus' death because God raised Him from the dead on the third day.  This victory over death is now ours!  We are told in Colossians 1:21-22 that this gift is for all of us and that and we can stand before God holy and blameless.  Does that amaze you?  It does me!  Earlier this week, I looked at how Jesus was "the firstborn of creation" and that "God in all His fullness" was in Him.  Jesus has authority over all things, yet He chose to carry our burden of death to show that He has victory over death and to bring us back to Him.  This is a truth that I love hearing over and over again!  It is amazing and beautiful.  This truth is culture changing.

Do you believe in this amazing truth?

This post is linked with Thought Provoking Thursday.

2 comments:

  1. Such wonderful truth!!! Thanks for the awesome reminder of the Gospel today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for visiting, Katie!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.