Thursday, February 23, 2012

Christ's Mighty Power

Colossians 1:28-29

I enjoy cooking.  It is good to give my family a home-cooked meal because they taste good and they are better for you.  I like knowing what exactly is in my food that I am eating, which is why I enjoy making things from scratch.  My mother-in-law has been blessing my family with home canned goods since my husband and I were first married.  I'll never forget when I came to visit during a break in college with an engagement ring on my finger and my mother-in-law opened a cupboard full of canned vegetables from her garden and she then explained with tears in her eyes that they were for us after we were married.  I felt so loved and blessed in that moment.  So, it is wonderful to take something from my mother-in-law's garden and provide a nice meal for my family.  The neat thing is knowing that I had help making the meal; because of my mother-in-law's preparations and provision I can make a better meal for my family.  God provides for us in life so we can give back to the people around us and show them love.  Please read Colossians 1:28-29.

The first thing that Paul tells us that God has given them is wisdom.  Everything that Paul shared with everyone they met was made complete with all the wisdom God gave them.  I think this is an important thing to remember; when we are doing God's work we want to do it with God.  We definitely want His wisdom to guide us in doing and saying what is best.  James 1:5 tells us, "If any of you need wisdom, ask our generous God and He will give it to you.  He will not rebuke you for asking."  This wisdom isn't something that we keep to ourselves, we share it with the people around us.  Yesterday, as I was listening to the radio a pastor (I wish I knew who it was) was talking about teachers who build up knowledge and then don't share it with others.  He said they were like the Dead Sea because the Jordan River feeds the Dead Sea while the Dead Sea has no outlet.  That is why the Sea has such a high mineral content.  When we build up wisdom and knowledge but then do not use it or share it, we are just like the Dead Sea spiritually.  Paul says that the purpose of teaching through God's wisdom is so that others can become mature followers of Christ.

The next provision Paul writes about is Christ's mighty power that is working in him.  Paul writes how he depends on Christ's power in order to do the work that God called him to.  He wrote that he needed this strength so he could continue to work hard in order to share the wisdom that God had given him.  I don't know about you, but I often find myself depending on the one man show of myself to get through the day and to do what God wants me to do.  That is when I feel drained and burned out.  It is when I rely on Christ to help me through the day that I feel empowered to get the job done.  What wonderful gifts of provision.  Remember, yesterday we looked at how Christ lives in us, so that power is something we can all have.  Philippians 4:13 says, "I can do all things through Christ Jesus who gives me strength."  Even the things God puts before us that seems too difficult are possible through Christ.

Are you using the wisdom and strength that God has provided?

This post is linked with Thought Provoking Thursday and iFellowship Blog Hop.

6 comments:

  1. Life is so much easier to bear when we lean on Christ. Thanks to your post, it helps us remember that on a daily basis. Thank you and God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is easier to bear the difficulties of life when we lean on Christ.

      Delete
  2. I hope to recognize the wisdom and strength God has provided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more we pray for wisdom, the more we will recognize God's wisdom.

      Delete
  3. Amen! That is so good. God is teaching me so much right now about Spiritual warfare and I hope I will never become like the Dead Sea...great illustration and reminder to let it flow out of us to others...blessed to be a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really is point! We are so blessed so we can be a blessing to those around us.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.