Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Power To Please God

Philippians 2:12-13

When I was a child, there were different reasons why I obeyed my parents.  The first reason was just because they were my parents and I loved them.  The second reason was out of respect for them.  I understood that as my parents, they had authority over me and it was wise to respect that authority.  Yesterday, I looked at how one of our responses to God should be one of respectful fear as I am focusing on Deuteronomy 10:12 this week.  This fear is out of the knowledge that God is the Creator of everything and can give and take away life.  It is not a fear where we have to be afraid that He is waiting to pounce on us, rather, it is a fear made out of respect for His ultimate authority and power.  This fear should motivate us to desire to please Him over pleasing the world.  Today, I want to look at how we are able to please God.  Please read Philippians 2:12-13.

I want to first mention that the only way we are able to understand how to please God is through the power of the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit gives us the ability to understand what the Bible teaches us and we learn to see what God wants us to be living out.  But, we need to spend time in the Bible for the Holy Spirit to teach us!  Time in prayer allows us to lift our burdens to God and praise Him, but it also gives us an opportunity to hear from Him as well.  Once we begin to listen to the conviction of the Holy Spirit, we understand what needs to change.  The change may mean to stop doing something that does not honor God or He may want us to do something new for Him.  What I can say without doubt is that some of those changes are difficult.

In fact, sometimes it may seem impossible to do what pleases Him.  But the hope we are given in Philippians 2:12-13 is that both the desire to please God and the power to please God is given to us by God.  That is amazing to me!  God didn't just give us high expectations that would seem impossible by human standards just to watch us fumble and fail.  God gave us the power to do what pleases Him.  We learn in Philippians 4:13 that this power is given to by God through Christ Jesus.  We are not in this walk alone.  Be encouraged in the knowledge that when you want to do what is right and please God, that desire was given to you by God.  Be encouraged that you can do what pleases God not by your own power and strength, but you are able to do it through the power and strength of our Creator.

Do you believe that you can live a life that pleases God through Christ?

This post is linked with iFellowship Blog Hop and Word Filled Wednesday.

8 comments:

  1. Love it! And as I was reminded this week that yes, while there may be a cost to obedience, there is a greater cost for disobedience. Thank God for enabling us to be faithful! - Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes! Thank God for empowering us!

      Delete
  2. Great verses from one of my favorite books in the Bible.
    These (plus v.14) have spoken volumes to me in the past.
    I have written it into my heart as "Obey with joy and delight". Easier said than done ~ but overflowing joy when you do.
    Super reminder ~ thank you!
    Blessings,
    Felecia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! When we obey, we find joy.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.