Monday, February 13, 2012

A Reason To Be Thankful

Colossians 1:11-14

Last week, I started writing my post with the intention of looking at all of Colossians 1:11-14 but I found myself focusing on endurance and patience.  With those two things being such a broad topic, I ended up using my post to write all about them.  I have shared with you in some earlier posts that my small group is currently going through the James: Mercy Triumphs by Beth Moore.  I also know that I have shown you verses in James that also parallel what Paul said in Colossians; however, I am going to give you one more.  This is one more verse to give you encouragement when you are in a trial.  James 1:12 (NLT) says, "God blesses those who patiently endure trials and temptation.  Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him."  What a wonderful word of encouragement!  Today, I want to finish up looking at what I started on Friday.  Please read Colossians 1:11-14.

We see in verses 11 and 12 that Paul also prays that the church be filled with joy and thankfulness.  Verses 12-14 tell us why we should be filled with joy and thankfulness.  First, we are told that we are able to share in the inheritance that God has set aside for His people.  Psalm 16:5 (NLT) says, "Lord, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing.  You guard all that is mine."  We know that when we love and follow Christ that our inheritance will be eternity with Him.  The knowledge of that inheritance can bring us great joy and gratefulness; however, Paul tells us more.

We are reminded in verses 13 and 14 that we have been rescued from darkness.  When we are living a sinful life, we are living in darkness.  When we believe in the salvation that comes from Christ, we are filled with His light.  We see that that we are taken out of the darkness and put into His kingdom, which is such an amazing thought to me.  We are told that we receive forgiveness from all of our sins because Christ purchase our freedom.  This was done through His sacrifice on the cross and His resurrection.  Jesus was perfect, yet He took our punishment of death and showed that He had absolute victory over death when He was resurrected.  That is a truth that for which we can all be thankful!  As my pastor said yesterday morning - every Christian can wake up each day with a reason to be thankful.  No matter what, you can always cling to the hope we have in Christ and be thankful for the wonderful gift He gave us.

Are you thankful for the gift of freedom and forgiveness you have been given?  Are you thankful for your inheritance?

This post is linked with Sharing His Beauty.

2 comments:

  1. I am so thankful for God's forgiveness and His gift of salvation! It is what carries me through each day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true for me as well! Some days it overwhelms me when I think about it.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.