Wednesday, March 14, 2012

God Has No Favorites

Colossians 3:23-25

If you wear glasses, you can understand what it is like when you receive a new prescription.  The first time you put on the new glasses it can be amazing how much clearer everything appears (especially if it has been a few years since your last check-up).  Even with the greater clarity, I have been told by doctors for almost all my life that I am still not seeing 20/20 while wearing glasses.  So, whenever I get a new pair of glasses it makes me wonder what it is like to see 20/20 if everything is appearing so clear to me.  But this makes me think of our perspective and how we view things as we walk this planet.  It is so hard when we have things assaulting our human vision in this world to view things with the 20/20 vision that God has.  God wants us to have Him in the forefront of our vision at all time, but sometimes we want to focus on other things.  Today, the verses I am looking at shows what our perspective should be as we are working; please turn to Colossians 3:23-25.

According to our human vision, we work to receive a paycheck.  But when you are at work, do you ever consider the inheritance that you will be receiving as a child of God?  I have to admit that is not always my focus at work; sometimes I am just focusing on getting the job done.  What would happen if I had a godly perspective for every task I need to complete and focus on pleasing the One who I am really working for?  What if I receive joy in all that I do at work because I am focusing on the inheritance God has promised to all who love Him?  What if this godly vision changes how we interact with all the people we are around at work or throughout our day?  What if we remember that God loves each and every person wants them to have a share in this inheritance just as much as He loves you and want you to have a share in the inheritance?  I think if that were our vision at all times, we would behave a lot differently toward each other.

In fact, we are told in verse 25 that God does not favor one person over the other.  He loves each and every one of us and He wants each and every person to come into His Kingdom.  But we are also told in verse 25 that a person who does wrong will be repaid for their wrongs.  As I looked this verse up in the Greek, there was a word that stuck out at me.  The word that is translated as "do wrong" is the word, adikeō which means to act unjustly, to sin, or to violate the law in some way.  This got me thinking about James 2:8-9 (NLT), "Yes indeed, it is good when you obey the royal law as found in Scriptures: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'  But if you are favoring some people over others, you are committing a sin.  You are guilty of breaking the law."  Our world is very focused on status and the working world is no different.  Are we treating the person in the mail room the same as the CEO?  God has no favorites, and neither should we; our vision for the people we are around at work and in our neighborhood should be the fact that God loves them no matter who they are or what they have done.  That is culture changing!  Imagine what would happen if we all treated each other as a person extravagantly loved by God.

What vision are you using at work and with the people in your life?

This post is linked with iFellowship, Word Filled Wednesday, and Winsome Wednesday.

8 comments:

  1. Your entry reminds me of something that was shared by Richard Stearns in his book, A Hole in the Gospel. The people whom we may turn away from are actually "Jesus in his most distressing disguise." This has always been an excellent reminder to me that no matter what, we are all God's children. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to reading more.
    God Bless,
    Christy at CrossMoms

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry! The correct title of the book is The Hole in Our Gospel, by Richard Stearns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that book with me, Christy! I will have to look it up.

      Delete
  3. I would love to paper the walls of all the hospitals in which I've worked with this post. Everyone is worthy of respect, of courtesy, of care and comfort. This is so often forgotten in the situations where it is most needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not always easy to do it, is it? Especially if we are not being treated with respect...and those often are the situations that need God's love the most!

      Delete
  4. Hi Sharon - You are so right! God has no favourites and neither should we in the way we treat each other. Sad to say its a hard thing to overcome. But I think that is where humility helps a lot. God said to not think to highly of ourselves and to think of others more highly than ourselves. If we do that, we would get equality right more! Great post
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! Perhaps He asks us to think of others as higher than ourselves because He knew that would be how we would treat them equally. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.