Monday, March 19, 2012

Make the Most of Every Opportunity

Colossians 4:5-6

When I was a senior in college, I took a few classes that I did not need to take because the subject interested me, I had the time, and I wasn't sure if I was going to have that opportunity again.  For the last 19 years, that opportunity has not presented itself again, and there are other classes I wish I could have had time to take while in school.  We just never know when an opportunity will present itself, and it is good to make the most of the opportunities that come our way.  Paul wrote about making the most of every opportunity, but he was referring specifically to how we are living out our lives.  Please read Colossians 4:5-6.

Do these verses convict you at all?  They convict me!  This is because I have to admit to myself that I do not make the most of every opportunity.  When I am at the store, am I thinking about living in a way that allows my hope in Christ shine through?  I am not talking about being ashamed of my behavior because I reacted poorly to the people around me.  I am talking about making the most of the opportunity I have while I am around those who do not believe in Christ.  Am I taking every opportunity to show God's love?  One of the keys that Paul gives us is to walk in wisdom.  There are many reasons why we would need wisdom; however, one of the big reasons that comes to mind is codependency.  In our quest to show God's love, we may end up creating a situation where we are nurturing codependency.  Wisdom will allow us to understand how we can show God's love in way that is healthy and will minister to those around us.

The other point that Paul makes is that our conversations should be "gracious, seasoned with salt..." so that we will always have the correct response to the people around us.  I think of gracious as listening to the person with whom we are interacting.  Grace allows us to listen without judgement; it allows us to care.  Seasoned with salt is an interesting term because we know what salt does for food when we use it.  The food tastes so much better!  The thing is, we need to understand what kind of food we are cooking because some food needs little salt and other food needs a lot of salt.  The wisdom and grace that we are to use in our interactions can help us know what exactly we need to say.

In Matthew 5:13 Jesus says, “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot."  When we are making a point to listen with grace and walk in wisdom, we can make the most of every opportunity and be the salt of the earth that Christ called us to be.

Are you making the most of every opportunity?

This post is linked with Sharing His Beauty.

6 comments:

  1. Your post has me thinking! Making the most of the opportunities God places before us is so important. And, I also love what you wrote about salt! With wisdom, we know how much "salt" to add to our words so they will make the "meal" perfectly edible! I pray that God will give me that kind of wisdom!

    Blessings, Joan

    P.S. I love your new background picture -- green is my favorite color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I want that kind of wisdom as well! Thanks for visiting, Joan.

      It is feeling like May where I live...I had to switch to a picture that reminded me of Spring!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Sharon, for this reminder to let His love and light shine through us wherever He takes us! May we be the salt of the earth as He has asked us to be!
    Love in Him,
    Laurie
    http://savedbygracebiblestudy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was just my prayer this morning...that all my conversations would be full of wisdom, grace, and seasoned with salt. Thank you for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Sharon! I hopped over after reading your sweet comment on my blog...I lingered much longer than I intended as Colossians is one of my favorite books of the Bible. Colossians 3:17 is my life verse and these last two posts speak to what has been on my heart this past week. I just did my WFW for tomorrow around it. We are called to live intentional lives but are we really being intentional with others or just moving so quickly that we never really notice. We need to slow down, notice others in order to invest into them and far too often I'm too busy to listen...This was just a great Word tonight and confirmation that my WFW was meant to be... :) peace! lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to reading your post later today! I love how God confirms what He placed on our hearts! I'm blessed that you stopped by to visit.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.